PDA

View Full Version : N172 Checklist for Columbus

TT40391
09-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Hello everyone, while it will still be a little while before I can start collecting these cards, I am trying to find a checklist for the Columbus team. Can anyone provide one? Also is there anywhere online that has team checklists for the N172 set? As always thanks for the help.

TT

TT40391
09-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Okay I just found one online right after I posted this. Sorry about that. Thanks anyway though.

TT

jcmtiger
09-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Where did you find this online?

Joe

cdn_collector
09-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Joe -- no idea if it's this one, but here is one:

http://www.teamsets4u.com/checklist/1800s/1887n172.html

Joe_G.
09-18-2010, 11:46 PM
Interesting website but there are a number of errors. A cursory look reveals missing players and even teams. The Kansas City Blues have been lumped together with the Kansas City Cowboys for example. Bennett cannot be found with Detroit, missing California League players, etc.

I did cross reference the Columbus team however and they got it correct with 17 subjects. Some of the players go by common nick names not referenced at that website (Fido Baldwin, "Rowdy Jack" or "Peach Pie" O'Connor, etc.) and Widner is always found spelled incorrectly as Weidner.

Of the 17 subjects, the following were introduced to the set in 1889 and are pictured in correct uniforms (all else being "team change" cards):

Ned Bligh
Al Buckenberger (manager, so no "real uniform", but dates to when he was manager of Columbus)
Hank Gastreich
Lefty Marr
Al Mays (also has a spotted tie card - NY Mets)
Wild Bill Weidner

TT40391
09-19-2010, 05:57 AM
The website listed above is the website where I found the list. It is interesting to hear that it has errors in several sets. I am going to have to get a copy of the standard card catalog soon.

TT

oldjudge
09-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Get a copy of the Old Judge Book(email Richard Masson at richard@ponymass.com). While there is not a list of players by team, there is a list of poses by player and each pose denotes the teams it is found with. If you are collecting Old Judges this will be the best investment you can make.