PDA

View Full Version : Framing a rolled Panoramic photo

vintagesportflips
09-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Hello fellow collectors,

Wanted to see if anyone could give me any advice with a framing project. I have a panoramic photo that I want to get framed that has been stored rolled probably for the last 70 years. I have got panoramics framed before, but by the time I received them, they had been pressed flat. I expect some of those cracks from the flattening out of the photo during framing, but I want to try to limit that as much as possible. Should I go straight from the rolled photo to the framer; or should I try to less it flat with books on top to try to flatten it out prior to the framing. Anyone have any experience with getting these rolled guys flat?

thanks
KJ

MGHPro
09-18-2010, 12:36 PM
I would definitely press it out with books first. Take your time and don't rush it. Good Luck.. post some pictures when its done
Matt

vintagesportflips
09-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks Matt, I think you're right, the patient approach is probably the best. When I got it, it was rolled up in a tube, so for the last few days I have been letting it sort of relax outside the tube, then I am going to try to press it flat. I will post some photos of the finished product when I get there.

patricka
09-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Depending on the value of the item you may consider taking it to a professional paper/document conservation company. I have a panoramic real photo that came from an estate sale and had been rolled for 90 years. It was very tightly rolled. I took it to a professional conservation company here in Chicago. They first placed it in a controlled humidity chamber to relax the paper and then they pressed it inbetween sheets of archival felt. Came out perfect flat with no cracking or tears. I think the key thing to consider is how brittle/tight the paper is on the one you have.