PDA

View Full Version : TV Cameramen - all sports

Shoeless Moe
09-17-2010, 02:13 PM
If you think about it, there are tons of sporting events daily, in pretty much every major city. Guessing...on any given day there could be 100 events a day being captured by cameramen, and then at each event you could have 10cameramen. Where do all these cameramen come from? Is there a school for TV cameramen, and then some are focused on 1 shot the entire game or event. Doesn't seem like that takes much skill or thought, "you, you keep your camera on home plate the entire game, you on the pitcher." Anybody know one personally, I'd like to know how they got into it and what's there life like, on the road basically 365 I assume. Crazy.

PWeso81
09-17-2010, 02:26 PM
I am in the racing biz. I know that the cameramen for our series are exclusive to the series and work every event. However, they will also help with PGA events, College Football, MLB etc. when it does not interfere with our schedule. I was told a few years back that the entry level position is usually the sound guy. I am sure you have seen him. He is the one holding the plexiglass looking satellite dish. Back then that would earn you $500 for the event.

ChiefBenderForever
09-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Lots of 2 year programs out there to learn the ropes as well as college/university programs. No it does not take any skill what so ever as long as you don't have shaky hands, but does require basic engineering skills as far as imputs/plug ins, ect, but probably all that is done by an engineer. Everything is digital now so you don't even have to change tapes, just slip in a vid card and good to go. Tough hours though, but you get a great view of the game, would be cooler to be a camera man for a News station out capturing the news. If you know how to run a basic hand held video camera you are 95% of the way there.

tothrk
09-23-2010, 02:29 PM
I wonder if those camera guys who wait around in the middle of nowhere waiting for a rhino or tiger to meander by get paid more or less.