PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference??

lharri3600
09-16-2010, 08:38 PM
i'm kind of stumped as to why one card received a numercial grade and the other authentic???? and please don't tell me it's the paper loss on back. input needed

steve B
09-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Maybe the Young was trimmed beyond the obvious corners?

Or maybe the corners being cut rather than ripped off counts as altered instead of damaged?

Just a couple guesses.

Steve B

glynparson
09-17-2010, 07:04 AM
Corners on young are cut off corners on killian are ripped off. its that simple.

Doug
09-17-2010, 07:22 AM
Corners on young are cut off corners on killian are ripped off. its that simple.

This may sound like a dumb question, but if that's the case couldn't he just rip a thin piece of paper off each corner of the Young and get a numerical grade then?

barrysloate
09-17-2010, 08:11 AM
Doug- it's actually a smart and obvious question.

Jim VB
09-17-2010, 08:17 AM
This may sound like a dumb question, but if that's the case couldn't he just rip a thin piece of paper off each corner of the Young and get a numerical grade then?

I don't think it's a dumb question. I've never felt that, at this end of the grading spectrum, the value of a PSA 1 is ALWAYS more than a PSA A. I think the appearance of the card becomes the driving factor.

And if you're doing the registry thing... you're probably not buying either.

glynparson
09-17-2010, 08:44 AM
You could do that and probably get a numerical grade. Its just like a psa 1 mk you can rip off the mk part of the back of a card and now get a psa 1 and the card looks much worse. Like Jim VB said at this end of the spectrum you are not necessarily going to get any more for an Authentic grade then a 1 2 or even 3 sometimes. Eye appeal definetly comes into play at that point.

scooter729
09-17-2010, 10:02 AM
The "A" grade has been used very subjectively, and in some cases, not at all. Not to derail, but it has always confused me why I couldn't even get an "A" grade for this OJ. If you look closely, someone very carefully cut out the "NY Giants" reference (just on the front, not cut through to the back) and glued on "Brooklyn" from another card. I have to imagine this was done in 1890, when he was with Brooklyn, since he went back to the Giants after that.

Why couldn't I get just an "A" for the card, just so I can have it protected in the slab? If they grade trimmed and otherwise altered cards, why not this? PSA and SGC both rejected this and said they wouldn't grade it.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f81/scooter0729/ward3.jpg

barrysloate
09-17-2010, 10:07 AM
That's a tricky one Scott. That is technically two different cards glued together. I could see it creating a problem with authentication.

Shoeless Moe
09-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Why couldn't I get just an "A" for the card, just so I can have it protected in the slab? If they grade trimmed and otherwise altered cards, why not this? PSA and SGC both rejected this and said they wouldn't grade it.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f81/scooter0729/ward3.jpg

Does Coaches Corner encapsulate cards? Maybe try there ; )

scooter729
09-17-2010, 11:09 AM
The October auction could feature the signed OJ Ward! "Lee's great-grandfather got this signed outside the Polo Grounds himself! Valued at well into the thousands, we'll start it for $20!"

Matthew H
09-17-2010, 12:30 PM
That's a tricky one Scott. That is technically two different cards glued together. I could see it creating a problem with authentication.

Isn't the "restored" T206 Wagner technically two different cards glued together?

barrysloate
09-17-2010, 12:39 PM
I don't know what was done to that Wagner. I assumed the restoration had to do with inpainting. I will say that I don't think there is a consistent policy when it comes to encapsulating these unusual cards. There's a Just So of Jesse Burkett that is constructed from parts of two different cards and it is slabbed, but the label reads "altered." I guess the graders have to assess these on a card by card basis.

JamesGallo
09-17-2010, 11:48 PM
You can always try beckett and doesn't PSA now offer some type of slab your kids card service thing. I would call or talk to them at a show and just say you want the thing in a slab for protection. Then again god know what type of slab they would put it in, so just leave it in a screw down :-)

James G

terjung
09-18-2010, 12:30 AM
I too have a card that is in an "A" holder that could be upgraded numerically if I wore down the bottom, left corner on the sidewalk. Would I rather it be in an SGC 10 holder? Sure, but am I going to intentionally damage it further so that it can meet that technical grade? Not a chance. I suspect there are quite a few cards out there that would fall into that category (cut in some way - other than trimming to attempt to make a card look more "mint").

chaddurbin
09-18-2010, 01:19 AM
first time i've heard damaging the card more to get it in a better holder.

there's no difference between the above 2 cards...they're both definitive A's.

makersmarkambassador
09-18-2010, 03:19 AM
Could it be that they were graded by two different graders for PSA and one thought to give the Young an "A"?

chaddurbin
09-18-2010, 10:37 PM
oh, browsing ebay just now...

am i naive at being surprised seeing the young up for auction on ebay the same time this thread was up?

bump ttt

Leon
09-19-2010, 07:38 AM

am i naive at being surprised seeing the young up for auction on ebay the same time this thread was up?

bump ttt

I think there is a blurry line between selling on the main board and asking a question and selling somewhere else. I have asked questions about cards and then sold them elsewhere. I don't have a problem with it as long as it's not blatant. Each case is it's own situation and 99% of our members don't abuse the front page, imo. Also, the more frequent the poster the more leniency I give them on the board. It's sort of a perk for being involved and adding positive vibes to the place. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Bridwell
09-19-2010, 12:13 PM
I thought it was a good topic for a thread, even if the card is for sale.

It seems to me that PSA will give the 'A' if a card is trimmed. The PSA 1 is used for a card that is badly damaged, but not trimmed. If the owner of the trimmed card tried to tear a little more off, he would not be able to change an 'A' to a '1'. (And it would make the card look terrible!) I don't think PSA will give a 1 if any more of a card is missing, than what was done on the Killian. The Killian has the most missing for a '1', that I've seen. A card missing a substantial portion can only get an 'A', I believe.

FrankWakefield
09-19-2010, 08:31 PM
So the goal is a number on a slab, not a card?

Leon
09-19-2010, 09:11 PM
So the goal is a number on a slab, not a card?

The question was concerning why something would get an A over a 1, or vice versa. These are graded cards, Frank. :)

E93
09-19-2010, 11:18 PM
I too have a card that is in an "A" holder that could be upgraded numerically if I wore down the bottom, left corner on the sidewalk. Would I rather it be in an SGC 10 holder? Sure, but am I going to intentionally damage it further so that it can meet that technical grade? Not a chance. I suspect there are quite a few cards out there that would fall into that category (cut in some way - other than trimming to attempt to make a card look more "mint").

I agree. I would never intentionally damage a card to get a technical grade. And I doubt it would increase the value anyway if that is the objective. With a card like that Young, it is what it is regardless of what the label on the slab says.
JimB

lharri3600
09-20-2010, 04:46 AM

bump ttt

What's wrong with asking a question and listing a card on ebay??

glynparson
09-20-2010, 05:12 AM
You seem to be making the asssumption that a 1 would sell for more than an A and you're wrong. Stick to raw cards you never offer anything useful on a graded card thread.

Leon
09-20-2010, 07:15 AM

Nothing.

chaddurbin
09-20-2010, 10:28 AM

at least you didn't blame it on your brother this time...

http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=117099&highlight=t206+buyback