PDA

View Full Version : Tough Indians pennant, then and now

Rob D.
09-15-2010, 03:10 PM
I always get a kick out of finding a vintage photo that includes souvenir items from the era. I have a few such photos that include Cleveland Indians pennants from the 1950s, but usually those pennants are the very common variety, i.e. Chief Wahoo's head on the left of the pennant and "Cleveland Indians" printed or in script on the right.

Today I received in the mail a book, Akron-Canton Baseball Heritage, and included in it are mentions and photos of the Indians. Much to my surprise I came across the photo below (sorry for the poor quality). The style of Indians pennant pictured in that group is a tough, tough example. I picked up the one in my collection (second photo below) just within the past five years. When the previous owner described it to me over the phone and was saying it had "wavy letters," I had no idea what he was talking about, because I'd never even seen this pennant before. I thought he was describing some kind of damage to the letters on the pennant. Needless to say when I saw it in person I was both thrilled and surprised.

To find an image of this pennant being sold back in the day, I think, is pretty cool.

perezfan
09-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Great post! These images always fascinate me as well.

I got my version of this pennant 3 years ago, and have not seen another one since. I bet they had a very limited production and were sold for only a short time. This picture had to be taken during that brief window... I wonder how many of the bunch pictured have actually survived?

ksfarmboy
09-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Very nice Rob. That's one of the cooler pennants from that era I've seen.

sox1903wschamp
09-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Awesome, really nice pennant. That team foiled the great Boston subway series. My Dad still talks about how that is one of his most painful sports memory. He was 12 at the time.

Rob D.
09-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Awesome, really nice pennant. That team foiled the great Boston subway series. My Dad still talks about how that is one of his most painful sports memory. He was 12 at the time.

One of my "holy grail" items is a ticket stub from that one-game playoff in Boston.

At the risk of derailing my own thread (although given how many others I've derailed, I suppose it's only fitting), the following photo is one of my all-time favorites, mainly because I'm a dog lover. It pictures rookie Gene Bearden, winning pitcher for the Indians in the playoff after Lou Boudreau named him the surprise starter, getting ready to leave Cleveland for Boston the night before the playoff game. In addition to the dog, I also just love the fact that not only is Bearden smoking a cigar, so is the "security" guard. And if you didn't know that Bearden was a lefty (and a knuckleballer to boot), I'd say his style of dress pretty much gives it away.

ChiefBenderForever
09-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Awesome pennant and picture, very cool. Probably the last time Cleveland had anything to celebrate, other than the Rock n Roll hall of fame.

GoldenAge50s
09-15-2010, 06:03 PM
GREAT photo and gorgeous pennant you have Rob!

I'm sure a couple-3 of those pennants have survived, but I'm wondering about those balloons?

lefty147
09-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Awesome pennant Rob

sox1903wschamp
09-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Rob,

Also love that photo and the dog (C-Spaniel). Gene Bearden to the Indians is the antithesis to Denny Galehouse of the Red Sox regarding that playoff game.

Sorry to derail this thread a little further :)