PDA

View Full Version : Having Topps Buy-Backs Graded

lhoyle
09-09-2010, 07:53 AM
I am a stickler for uniformity, and having way more graded than not, I very carefully removed 2 of my T206's from the Topps buy-back holder and sent them in to PSA. I got my grades today and got 3's on both. I am actually very happy with this, wanting all my items to grade out at least a 2...

I was wondering if other members of the board had done the same and gotten similar results?

I have another buy-back coming from an eBay transaction and I'll send it in for grading as well.

Great board, BTW. I waste a LOT of work time here :)

Orioles1954
09-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Hi Lee,

I purchased a 2002 Topps Buyback of Schulte a couple of years backs on ebay. It looked very very clean from the scan. I submitted it and it got a 50. I also pulled a T205 Leever from a pack and it got a 40. My experience indicates these buybacks are all over the place in condition. I understand Kit Young was a large supplier of the T206 cards. BTW, I have seen two Hall of Famers: Bresnahan and Mathewson.

James

Piratesfan1418
09-09-2010, 12:56 PM
From what I've seen the condition of the buybacks was pretty good. I had a t205 of someone and it was in good shape.

I have seen two other hall of famers. Fred Clarke and Hugh Duffy.

quinnsryche
09-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Wouldn't it be more economical to just buy graded cards? Don't you pay a premium for the buy backs? With the massive amounts of T206's available I would think it would be easier and/or more frugal to buy them graded or raw and have them graded than pay the buy back premium, cut them out and then send them in. Just wondering out loud.

glchen
09-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Out of curiosity, does PSA grade/encapsulate the card if you left it in the buyback holder?

rp12367
09-09-2010, 04:01 PM
As far as I know - only Beckett will give a buyback a number grade still in buyback frame. I have a few by SGC and they only give them a A. I have heard that PSA will only give an A also. I have cards that range from poor (poor poor if there is such a thing, missing paper, creases, torn, even tape, etc.. all on the same card) to cards that are EX+. There are a ton of Hall of Famers out there, just have to be careful with them, alot of them are not legit, some guys looking to make a quick buck usually spilt a common auto and inset a HOFer in a hope to make money, about 75% of all the HOFer's I have tried to buy have been like this, although I have 12 of them now, hope to get more soon... I usually won't pay a big premiun for a buyback unless it's a HOFer or a rare back (or Hal Chase, still looking ), $5 or $10 over the grade of the card as if it is raw is the normal, $25-$35 for most cards. It might be cheaper and easier to buy raw or graded cards already in some cases...

rp12367
09-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Also like to note, that if you are looking for HOFer's as buyback's. I haven't had a single issue with any cards out of the 2008 Buyback Series Topps Baseball History. I think the reason being, you can only get T205, T206, T207 buybacks with these cards, so there are no cheap common mini nobody cards around to split open, you would only be swapping a T with a T and not much profit in that, only my observation....