PDA

View Full Version : Ira Thomas signature value?

docpatlv
09-08-2010, 10:04 AM
I recently purchased a ca. 1925 signed business card of Ira Thomas (d. 1958) pictured below...

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr248/docpatadc/1925IraThomasAutographA.jpg

I was wondering if anyone had any idea as to the value of this piece. In doing some research, I found three examples of Thomas' signature having been auctioned or for sale.

1. In Aug 1999, Hunt's offered a signed illustration of Thomas (no pic on their website). The estimate was $450-550. The item did not sell.

2. Kevin Keating has a Thomas signed GPC available on his website for $399

3. There is a signed newspaper photo currently on e-bay with a BIN of $399.99 pictured below

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr248/docpatadc/ThomasSigEbay.jpg

Are these accurate values for a Thomas signature or just wishful thinking on the behalf of the sellers. I am not looking to sell, I just like to know approximate values for the items in my collection. His signature is not up for sale often, so I am having a difficult time establishing value. So if anyone has any guess-timates, it would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Vintagecatcher
09-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Hi Mike,

I have been an Ira Thomas collector for over 20 years. He was a prolific signer. I have 2 of this earlier autographed scout cards with him wearing a baseball cap. I also have a nice Paul Thompson autographed photo of Ira and Connie Mack in the dugout at the 1911 World Series.

I paid around $20-$25 for the scout cards 15 years ago. The scout cards show up on eBay quite frequently. I have my 2 framed with Ira Thomas photos.

Patrick

docpatlv
09-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the info Patrick.

Was going to frame it with one of Mike Wheat's T3 reproductions, would have made a nice display for cheap. But will probably just leave it in a screwdown for now.

Mike

prewarsports
09-08-2010, 03:36 PM
I have sold (2) Ira Thomas signatures on ebay in the last 2-3 months and both sold for between $165-$200. One was a signed business card and the other was a beautiful signed album page.

Rhys Yeakley

docpatlv
09-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Rhys,

Thx for the info, and was the business card the same as the one I pictured?

Mike

Vintagecatcher
09-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Hi Mike,

Here are a couple of examples that I have of Ira Thomas autograph:

Patrick

docpatlv
09-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Patrick,

Nice photo of Mack and Thomas. Ironically, the seller of the card I picked up included a similar photo of Mack and Thomas conversing in a dugout. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

prewarsports
09-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Here are mine I sold. The signature on the line on my business card is a facsimile, but the one across the side is genuine.

Rhys