PDA

View Full Version : Which authentication company is preferred for autographs?

Luke
09-03-2010, 08:08 PM
I have never sent anything in to be authenticated before, but I found a really cool room key from the hotel where the players stayed for the All Star Game in Seattle in 2001 (his rookie year) that I got signed by Pujols. Just struck me as something unique that I want to protect and have authenticated to boost its value should I ever think about selling. I was thinking PSA, but wanted some input before I send it off. Thanks!

Luke

GrayGhost
09-03-2010, 09:07 PM
JSA (James Spence Authentication) or PSA are both good bets. They are likely a bit pricey, but are highly respected in the hobby.

drc
09-03-2010, 09:22 PM
As far as the market goes, PSA/DNA and JSA are probably the top two. However, there are other reputable places that may be cheaper. Onlineauthentics.com, Richard Simon to name just two.

tinkereversandme
09-07-2010, 04:23 PM
I would suggest PSA/DNA or JSA.

I don't even think Online Authentics is in business anymore and haven't been for a while. I can't remember the last time I saw a cert that didn't involve a signing they did with one of their clients. I know they had a large list of authenticators and did shows, but not anymore. Plus, I think they charge just as much as JSA and PSA/DNA anyways.

Why pay the same for a company that is unknown, then you can with two brand names that are known by all? It seems like the business knows of those two names and that's it and I woudl steer clear of others.

Regards,

Larry

gnaz01
09-07-2010, 04:49 PM
As far as the market goes, PSA/DNA and JSA are probably the top two.

As far as the two mentioned, I can give a website that would show MULTIPLE times where JSA and/or PSA/DNA have authenticated 1) wrong names of people where they have made multiple mistakes (example being of a PSA/DNA "Authenticated" 1989 Perez-Steele Celebration card "signed" by Judy Johnson, when it is known he was in a coma in 1988 and never recovered and passed away in 1989) and/or 2) KNOWN secretarials or autopens as signed authentic. In my honest opinion, is to deal with someone who offers a 100% IRON CLAD MONEY BACK GUARANTEE for the lifetime of the item. Other than that, it is a crap shoot in my opinion. I am not here to propaganda any one particular website, but when read, it is an eye opener :eek:

Forever Young
09-07-2010, 07:17 PM
AGREED.

Whether you are a fan or not, they generally bring the highest prices if that is what you seek(PSA/JSA). The fact of the matter is, all authenticators make mistakes.

As far as the market goes, PSA/DNA and JSA are probably the top two. However, there are other reputable places that may be cheaper. Onlineauthentics.com, Richard Simon to name just two.

danc
09-07-2010, 11:46 PM
How many autographs do JSA and PSA/DNA look at every year? Of course they make stupid mistakes. The owner of that site (who is an authenticator himself) just spends all waking minute looking for dumb mistakes and posting it in an ever so proud fashion.

DanC