PDA

View Full Version : 1910 Tip Top Bread Pirates

LACardsGuy
09-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Does anyone know whether there are any known counterfeits of these cards? I have been scouring the Web, but so far have not found any references to them. I am very much hoping that the answer is no, but please feel free to break my bubble. :)

Leon
09-04-2010, 07:30 AM
Yes, unfortunately in today's technologically advanced print world there are fakes and reprints of every single card that has been seen on the web. If there isn't one now, just wait a minute, there will be. That was a bit sarcastic but the answer is an easy "yes". Welcome to Net54baseball.com too!!

TipTopBread
09-04-2010, 08:06 AM
TO LACARDGUY,

WHAT'S YOUR INTEREST IN THIS SET. I HAVE BEEN COLLECTING THEM FOR 17 YEARS, I HAVE SEEN MANY, MANY TIP TOPS BUT NEVER COME ACROSS AND FAKES, BUT AS LEON POINTED OUT THERE ARE REPRINTS! EMAIL ME IF YOU HAVE ANY COMMENTS! rgprgp8618@comcast.net

http://imageevent.com/rgprgp8618/1910tiptopbread

Leon
09-04-2010, 08:21 AM
TO LACARDGUY,

WHAT'S YOUR INTEREST IN THIS SET. I HAVE BEEN COLLECTING THEM FOR 17 YEARS, I HAVE SEEN MANY, MANY TIP TOPS BUT NEVER COME ACROSS AND FAKES, BUT AS LEON POINTED OUT THERE ARE REPRINTS! EMAIL ME IF YOU HAVE ANY COMMENTS! rgprgp8618@comcast.net

http://imageevent.com/rgprgp8618/1910tiptopbread

First of all TipTopBread....do us all a favor and hit your "caps" key to turn off all caps, pretty please. Secondly, I usually put fakes/reprints/copies in the same category of being "not" real. However, there are certainly some reprinted series (think Fritsch) that aren't homemade fakes but they still aren't real, vintage cards. I was trying to let the original poster know that anything seen on the web has probably been faked (reprinted) or whatever you want to call it. I got one, unfortunately, in the mail yesterday. I knew within a heartbeat it was fake and have already arranged a return on it. It happens.....

TipTopBread
09-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Sorry for all the "Caps", won't happen again. I was just trying to put my 2 cents worth of collecting this set, into the mix of comments. Obviously, your comments are more accurate, with all your experience. But I just love this set so much, and have so much time & $ involved, that I had to comment.
Ray Pasternak

LACardsGuy
09-04-2010, 09:59 AM
i bought a small group of off condition cards including a 33 Goudey Ott with writing on back, 2 Cracker Jack commons and a... wait for it... Wagner. I am waiting for them to arrive. I know what to look for under 100x once I get it, but am sitting here sweating bullets.

the reprint that you just received: was it printed in period litho or modern printing and easy to ID?

Leon
09-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Hey Tiptop guy,
No worries on the caps lock key. You can see the difference :). Input is always appreciated and I don't discount anyone's comments, regardless of time in the hobby. By many accounts I am a novice too (around 15 yrs). I would say though, that being in the hobby WITH the internet for 15 yrs, probably gives the experience of a collector with a few more years under their belt. As for my comments being more accurate, I am only giving my experiences. Others' (how 'bout those apostrophes, Barry?) experiences might be different.

LACardsGuy- Be prepared for a bit of a bummer. Only a very small percentage of these situations turn out with a happy ending (returns are most common). Again, just my experience. Best of luck and keep us updated. If it is a real "find" then you did mighty good!!

The reprint I just got didn't have the measurements it should have had and the paperstock was all wrong. regards

LACardsGuy
09-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Leon - emailed you with a few questions. It should arrive today.

barrysloate
09-04-2010, 11:39 AM
others'=:(

others=:)

Leon
09-04-2010, 12:58 PM
I need the book on apostrophes.

LACardsGuy
09-04-2010, 01:21 PM
6 fakes. Bad ones at that. I thought at least the commons would be legit.

mark evans
09-04-2010, 07:23 PM
I think others' is correct.

Mark

ValKehl
09-04-2010, 09:44 PM
I agree with Mark. Leon used "others'" in a possessive form.
Val

barrysloate
09-05-2010, 05:37 AM
Thanks guys, I stand corrected. I'm at the stage of my life where I am forgetting things I once knew. That's not good.:(