PDA

View Full Version : Sporting Life Cards....in Magazine

jboosted92
09-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Not sure if you guys have seen this....

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1910/VOL_55_NO_24/SL5524002.pdf

scooter729
09-01-2010, 09:14 AM
I'll take Series 1 please. Where do I send my 4 cents?

Not a bad deal - Cobb, Wagner, Matty and 4 other HOFers for 4 cents!

Thanks for posting...

timn1
09-01-2010, 09:22 AM
In my M116 article I worked extensively with the Sporting Life order forms, and pictured several of the various card offers that appeared in the magazine. It's fun to see a page with the order form cut out, however-- and it's kind of amazing that a cut-up page like that would have survived for 100 years.

Tim

milkit1
09-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Yeah but given inflation and time passed that's like $1.75 now!

GasHouseGang
09-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Did you happen to see this part of that paper? I believe it was on page 4.

WISE SAYINGS OF GREAT MEN.

*When the congregation is half asleep, should the minister flatter himself that he has preached an exhaustive sermon? Rev. Thomas Davis.

* Almost any man can invent something, but it requires a genius to make money out of it. Otorge F. Cahill.

* Airing our grievaaces doesn't always make them smell any sweeter. "Bugs" Raymond.

*It may be all right for some people to laugh and grow fat, but with other people it is no laughing matter. W. J. Shettsline.

*If it wasn't for imagination lots of the doctors would starve to death. William
Scanlon.

*Even when you unchain the dogs of war you will generally discover that their bark is worse than their bite. George Tebeau.

*The man who borrows trouble never gets out of debt. John J. McGraw.

*There is only one thing that travels faster than bad news, and that is the reputation of being an easy mark. William Klem.

*Nobody loves a fat man, especially if he happens to be a baseball umpire. William Smith.

*A free fight is often pretty expensive, if you happen to be in it. Tyrus Cobb.