PDA

View Full Version : I just got burned!!

hunterdutchess
08-26-2010, 06:50 PM
I bought a collection of cards from a ebay member for $250 threw paypal (not ebay) and have not received them over a month later. I sent her a few messages but it turns out that her account is "no longer registered". If you buy cards from a ebay member therw paypal you are playing with fire.

teetwoohsix
08-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Chris- do you mean you bought some cards from an ebay member, using paypal, but you did the transaction outside of ebay?

And now the seller is no longer set up with paypal?

I'm sorry, just trying to follow........and that sucks that this happened.

Clayton

Robextend
08-26-2010, 07:21 PM
If the transaction happened through ebay and there is no proof of delivery, then you can most likely recoup funds. Anything through paypal outside of ebay is extremely risky if you don't know the seller. But I have the same question as Clayton...not sure exactly what kind of transaction it was.

Rob

Taxman
08-26-2010, 07:21 PM
If you used a credit card to fund paypal, then call the cc and do a charge back. If not file a claim with the Better Business Bureau in San Jose, Ca against paypal. Never by off ebay and use pp unless you use a cc to fund the transaction. GL

BIN at VCP
08-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Very frustrating...this is exactly why eBay can charge 10% fees for using its services; it seems like a lot, but it's worth it for the peace of mind.

Good luck...what kind of collection, may I ask, did you attempt to purchase?

ethicsprof
08-26-2010, 11:00 PM
sorry to hear this.
please provide more information as suggested above.

best,
barry

scottglevy
08-27-2010, 06:50 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Paypal has taught me one thing over the years:

NEVER EVER PAY FOR ANYTHING USING YOUR CHECKING OR BANK ACCOUNT. ALWAYS USE YOUR CREDIT CARD FOR ALL PAYPAL TRANSACTIONS

that way when someone tries to scam you, the CC company can (and almost always will) refund your money in full.

Jim VB
08-27-2010, 07:13 AM
Chris,

What Scott said above is true.

Plus, did you use Paypal Gift, or just regular Paypal? Many off Ebay sellers are requesting the "Gift" option because they think it saves them (translate - cheats Paypal out of) 3%. Doing this puts all the risk on the buyer.

Paypal will still protect you if you use the standard service. Open a case and tell them the merchandise was never received. But if you used the "Gift" option they will do nothing (Nor should they. You told them it was a gift and were expecting nothing in return.)

bbsports
08-27-2010, 07:28 AM
Another way to go is through postal money order. A few years ago I won a PSA 8 1968 Mickey Mantle on e-bay & received an ungraded beat up 1968 Mantle instead. When the seller refused to refund me & tried to stick me with the card, I filed some paper work with the post office. They have their own lawyers who tracked down the seller. They refunded my money. I filed charges on the seller & he was charged for fraud.

HRBAKER
08-27-2010, 07:48 AM
Jim,
Great point(s) about the misuse of ebay "Gift." I have always thought and agree that using it was all about shorting/cheating ebay their due fees but it also does transfer the risk to the buyer as well. Also agree with above that I have never funded a paypal transaction thru any means but a cc.