PDA

View Full Version : BF2 Choices.....Wags or Jackson?

Leon
08-26-2010, 07:58 AM
So if you could keep one or the other which would you keep, and why? (the Wags has a blank back)

docpatlv
08-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Leon,

If I had to keep one, it would be the Jackson. Wagner is available on so many more issues. Plus I like the fact that the Jackson has the factory tag on the back.

The Wagner is a little bit cleaner, but I think the higher value would lie with the Jackson. Plus, you can always trade with me for the Wagner:)

Mike

Leon
08-26-2010, 08:18 AM
Leon,

The Wagner is a little bit cleaner, but I think the higher value would lie with the Jackson. Plus, you can always trade with me for the Wagner:)

Mike

LOL....thanks Mike....I am sure I will keep one or the other. Neither are for sale now. It's not like I am going for a set of them. I am leaning towards the Jackson also but it's great to get other ideas. best regards

martyogelvie
08-26-2010, 08:22 AM
Joe Jackson....
purely for its mystical powers!

ChiefBenderForever
08-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Joe Jackson, such an iconic story of an American tradegy played out like a Greek play, also available on dvd.

quinnsryche
08-26-2010, 08:35 AM
Leon, this may or may not help but: if you keep the Wagner and sell the Jackson, you'll get more in return to buy more stuff and still have a great Wagner piece. If you keep the Jackson and sell the Wagner, you'll get less in return but you'll have the best penant in the set. Looks like you win either way!:D

bijoem
08-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Keep the Jackson - great pose.

Normally I prefer Wagner over Jackson any day of the week -
but that is one of my least favorite Wagner poses.

peterose4hof
08-26-2010, 08:51 AM
I would definitely prefer the Jackson over the Wagner.

1. Jackson is available in far fewer sets than Wagner

2. The factory tag is very cool.

3. Maybe it's OCD of me, but I like the straight edges/cut of the Jackson versus the wavy cut of the Wagner.

Regardless, they are both incredibly beautiful pieces! Never seen either of those before; thanks for sharing.

PS: I am looking for Buck Herzog or Ivy Wingo from this set if anyone has them available.

rhettyeakley
08-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Keep the Jackson as it appears from the scan that the Wagner may have been sewn at one time (the uneven outside borders & it seems like I can see stitch holes (but it is tough to see these in the scan sometimes)). Were they in the same condition I would still probably have gone with the Jackson.
-Rhett

autograf
08-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Having seen them both first hand in your booth....no brainer........Jackson. Jackson is a much tougher pennant in the set. More Wagners out there from what I've seen. And agree with Rhett as there appears to be some wavyness to the Wags. Also the tab on the back is the coup-de-gras..........

Piratesfan1418
08-26-2010, 10:07 AM
What's up with the white border around Jackson? That really ruins eye appeal for me. And I am biased when I say keep the Wagner.

B

HRBAKER
08-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Normally I would say keep the Wags as I think that most Jackson/Black Sox stuff is vastly overhyped and valued, but the Wags looks to may have been part of a stitched piece before so in this instance I would probably keep the Jax. If both were clean, with centered photos and the like - I would keep the Wags.

sox1903wschamp
08-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Wags for me. The JJ pic appears to be miscut? But boy does JJ stuff sell for good money. Sell it, get the farm and still have a nice Wags in the collection.

Leon
08-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Wags for me. The JJ pic appears to be miscut? But boy does JJ stuff sell for good money. Sell it, get the farm and still have a nice Wags in the collection.

I agree the JJ picture looks to be miscut but that doesn't bother me too much. The other borders are so large, relative to others I see, that there is no doubt it is in fact a factory miscut. So far, the reasons I like the JJ are:

1. More scarce as a BF2
2. the back tab is really neat and as a type it is sort of needed
3. I can resell the Wags and recoup a good chunk of change
4. I have fewer JJ's in my collection, overall

Reasons I would keep Wags instead.

1. Better quality picture.
2. The backing (felt) is a better color than white.
3. Less costly so could recoup more if I sell Wags.

I am still leaning towards the JJ but the other observations are certainly relevent and something to consider. Thanks to all who have responded so far and keep the comments coming.....;)

teetwoohsix
08-26-2010, 10:55 AM
I'd go with the Jackson- all of the reasons have already been stated :)

Clayton

nolemmings
08-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Actually, the JJ picture is not miscut--the picture was simply glued off center onto the pennant's white box background. The actual photo is just fine--compare to this one in past REA auction:
http://robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2010images/Item_13552_1.jpg
The off center pic placement happens alot with this issue, and doesn't really detract much, IMO.

I would probably keep the Joe Jax--the factory tag is a nice touch. I agree with others who say that the wavy or somewhat scalloped edges of the Wagner is often a sign that it has been sewn into something else. Still a nice piece.

Leon
08-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Actually, the JJ picture is not miscut--the picture was simply glued off center onto the pennant's white box background. The actual photo is just fine--compare to this one in past REA auction:
http://robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2010images/Item_13552_1.jpg
The off center pic placement happens alot with this issue, and doesn't really detract much, IMO.

I would probably keep the Joe Jax--the factory tag is a nice touch. I agree with others who say that the wavy or somewhat scalloped edges of the Wagner is often a sign that it has been sewn into something else. Still a nice piece.

After this comment I looked closer and you are absolutely correct, Todd. The picture was glued off center and is not miscut. Thanks for the input. I am not really a purist, or a condition sensitive person, so the fact the Wags might have been sewn before doesn't bother me, though I realize it does bother many BF2 collectors. (Yes, Jay, it does seem like there are a few collectors of these :)) BTW, who knows what the tag was for?

sox1903wschamp
08-26-2010, 11:55 AM
[ piece.

Thanks Todd for setting that straight. I still think it gives the appearance of a 100/0 O/C card but to each thier own :)

autograf
08-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Lots of the BF2's have photos glued on off centered. I would still take the Jackson with the off centered photo versus the jaggedness of the Wagner border. That's almost always a deal breaker for me on BF2's. To each his own though. Some of the jagged lined ones sell for big bucks on ebay. Not even the really tough ones too.

oldjudge
08-26-2010, 12:26 PM
LOL-Good luck with those Leon!

JamesGallo
08-26-2010, 12:31 PM
The staining and the discoloration of the tip would drive me nuts, so I would sell that Jackson and I mainly collect Jackson stuff. The wags just presents better IMO.

James G

HRBAKER
08-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Leon,
All in all, this is a very nice problem to have. :D