PDA

View Full Version : Sheets

mintacular
08-22-2010, 03:55 PM
I may have broached this topic before but I feel like SOME of my ultra pro sheets allow the top row of cards to "peek" out and expose themselves to potential tippage/damage...I suppose if you have some EX/EXMT cards who really cares?

But I have a couple higher grade NM sets that I really don't like this (percieved?) damage that could/has occured. Has anyone else noticed this issue? Am I being paranoid? Does BCW? have better sheets?

Again, I have ultra-pro sheets. You would think that the top-selling provider of sheets would make sure that each card is protected and yet on the top row when I put cards in, the cards tend to "pop up" and the top edge/corners seem to be exposed unnecessarily...

vintagetoppsguy
08-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Pat,

I had the same problem you did and even commented about it in the "How Many Cards Fit in a Binder?" thread. I used display my sets in binders, but removed them a few years ago due to this problem. I was afraid the top row of cards would get dinged.

I still have some non-expensive sets in binders, but I have now switched to another method of storage for older, more valuable sets. I store each card in an Ultra Pro semi-rigid top loader (like the Card Savers). I can buy a box (200) of them for $12.00 and then store them in a cardboard vault box that costs about $3.00. So for example I can store my '61 Topps set (589 cards) for about $39.

David

vintagechris
09-05-2010, 04:01 PM
I've had the same problem. I started putting my top rows in soft sleeves before putting them in the pages. I have thought about doing that with all the sheet rows as they fit pretty snug but not too snug.

Chris

Rickyy
09-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Yep you're not alone...my 1970-79 Topps sets are all in a binder with those sheets..and some did get a little nick..not much of a bother for me..except for the colored border cards (1970 grey, 1971 black and 1975 rainbow).

I was thinking of going the way of David's suggestion for the 1970-75 sets...

Ricky

Beatles Guy
09-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Same problem here. I've removed the defective sheets and replaced them.

mintacular
09-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Does anyone know of a nice alternative to ultra pro sheets? As per David's suggestion I just prefer to look at my sets in a binder rather than toploaders/card savers :(. And the sleeve suggestion I think the cards fit "too snug" like that and could cause a crease and don't look very good but to each his own...

4k6
05-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Older thread bump for related question...

Are there any 9 pocket pages (PVC free) that will hold soft sleeved cards easily without the excess snugness?

I use Ultra Pro Platinum soft sleeves and found they fit too tightly into Ultra Pro Platinum pages, almost need to force them in...unsettling feeling.

Several years ago I had my small collection (post '56) in soft sleeves into pages into a binder, and I remember them fitting just right. Can't remember what pages I used though...any suggestions?

rocuan
05-13-2012, 01:52 PM
I used sheets from Dens Collectors Den . He's the guy who invented them and also was coauthor of the original price guide. He also was a chemist. The sheets are side entry. Never had a problem with them. He died a while back and they are no longer available. still have lots of hem.
Roland

bsuttonosu
05-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Pat,

I store each card in an Ultra Pro semi-rigid top loader (like the Card Savers). I can buy a box (200) of them for $12.00 and then store them in a cardboard vault box that costs about $3.00.

David

I store most of my cards this way but in a penny sleeve first. I've always been concerned that the semi-rigids aren't acid free. The packaging doesn't say and I can never seem to find an answer. Does anyone know?