PDA

View Full Version : How much do you offer for a collection?

paulcarek
08-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Sort of a newbie question here, and I'm hoping some of you vets can help me out.

I visited a yard sale today, at which lots of old toys and games were being sold. I asked whether there were any baseball cards, and the "proprietor" (an older gentleman) said he lots of stuff (which wasn't on display, but rather tucked away in his garage) that he "didn't know what to do with." He wasn't willing to lug it all out at the time, so I left my phone number.

I have no idea what he has, but am obviously hopeful that he'll call me back, and I'll get a chance to check things out. Now, here's my question. When presented with the opportunity to buy a large number of cards (the value of which you have a pretty good idea), how do you determine how much to offer?

I know this is a really subjective question, and am simply curious as to what others have done in a similar situation.

Thanks very much for your input.

GasHouseGang
08-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Paul, obviously you're going to get replies ranging from "rip him off for as low as possible", to "take a price guide and give him full book value". I haven't had the opportunity to buy from a yard sale in a number of years, but when I did, I simply asked, "How much do you want for them?". If they don't offer a number, but shoot back, something like "How much will you give?", then you are in a bind. Do you low ball and risk the chance of ticking him off. Or do you offer as much as you can? I would always say something like, "Well, I'm a collector so I may not be able to offer as much as they are worth, but I would give you $x." Start the negotiation at a figure that isn't rock bottom, but not upper atmosphere and see what happens. I'm thinking no more than 10-20% of book. I doubt he could get much more from a dealer unless he has something really great. Dealers want to move merchandise and really aren't buying much in this economy unless it's special. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

vintagechris
08-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Don't be surprised if they are from the 80's and 90's.

paulcarek
08-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Dream killer.:)

iggyman
08-21-2010, 08:56 PM

If I may, perhaps you should listen to the Everly Brothers and dream a little bit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m24uUzJgfwQ&feature=related

Lovely Day...

FrankWakefield
08-21-2010, 09:20 PM
1- You don't offer anything, because the cards will be from the mid 80s through the 90s. You walk away. If he starts to give them to you, run.

2- You don't offer anything because the cards are from the 60s and 70s, folded, worn and written upon, with a bit of mold active... You won't want those anywhere near your other cards.

3- You don't offer anything because he has a few 'old' cards, and you'll feel bad if you pay him much under what the cards are worth. You don't want to pay what the cards are worth because they won't fit in well with your collection, or they duplicate what you already have. So you help him sell them elsewhere.

We'd like to know what he had, and what you did. I'll bet Leon's quarter that you don't buy his collection.

vintagechris
08-21-2010, 11:29 PM

Hee hee. The fact that he didn't want to lug it all out, I think that is enough to kill the dream. :)

Gotta be boxes and boxes of 80's and 90's stuff. Unless of course he has boxes and boxes of pre war he just doesn't want to lug out. The dream lives. :)

FUBAR
08-21-2010, 11:31 PM
if i am buying large amounts and im looking to "offer" someone, if i get it for 40% of guide i am happy. I usually start at 25% and expect a counter offer. If he accepts, your golden. Some people just want it gone. Hopefully you have a gold mine but common sense tells me "old cards" to most people nowadays are 80s and 90s

ctownboy
08-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Paul,

The real question, which hasn't been asked yet, is what types of toys and games did he have and how old were they? If you know how old the toys and games are, you can probably get a good idea of how old the cards might be.

If this guy is old and the toys and games are from when he was a child, then you might have something. Same goes if the toys are his children's.

Also, how much was he asking for his toys and games? He might know what they are worth and actively collected them and just picked cards up as they came along. In which case, he may or may not have any valuable cards.

Just my two cents.

David

teetwoohsix
08-26-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm just curious to find out what happened with this (if anything) :D

Clayton

paulcarek
08-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Sadly, nothing to report. No response from Mr. Yard Sale.

Wesley
08-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Maybe Rob Lifson or Legendary got to him already.