PDA

View Full Version : Forum Member on History Detectives

Jason19th
08-19-2010, 07:15 PM
About six months ago I bought a program from Jackie Robinson's 1946 all-star tour. I thought it was a neat piece in part because it featured Jackie on an integrated all-star team playing in Major League Stadiums before his rookie year with the Dodgers. I submitted the program to the PBS show history detectives and they decided to feature it in a story. In May they flew me out to Cooperstown to Film the scenes and the story will air next Monday. This may have been the most interesting, exciting and strange occurrence in my collecting career. I haven;t seen the story yet but its sounds like there should be some interesting interviews and footage. The link below is to a Pittsburgh (where the game was player) newspaper article about the story. i hope you can all watch next week.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_694818.html

celoknob
08-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the post. That's really cool. History Detectives is my favorite show and I noticed Robinson was going to be on the next episode.

slidekellyslide
08-19-2010, 07:47 PM
History Detectives is a great show. Congrats! Wes Cowan is one of the "detectives" and he also has an auction house that occasionally has some baseball memorabilia.

henson1855
08-19-2010, 09:07 PM
I love HD and especially Elyse Luray

barrysloate
08-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Never saw the show- what channel has it?

JeremyW
08-20-2010, 03:42 PM
PBS. I've got my DVR set.

barrysloate
08-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks Jeremy.

BBSD
08-20-2010, 07:45 PM
cool

mr2686
08-21-2010, 09:15 AM
I just set my DVR. Looking forward to it!

Comiskey
08-27-2010, 04:52 PM
Hi Jason

I just watched the show on my DVR and it's great! I have watched this show in the past and really enjoyed it. Do you mind sharing your experiences with the show?

Jeff

Jason19th
08-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Jeff

I'm glad that you enjoyed the show.

It was a wonderful but also very strange experience. First, the beautiful home that I am shown living in is in fact not my house. Its a home that viewers allowed to be used as a filming location in Cooperstown. The show fly me in on a Wed night but me up in the local Holiday Inn and did the filming on Thursday. Even though I only appear on camera for maybe a minute the filming took the better part of a day. The crew was great to work with and very patient. The conclusion of the story was not reveled until the end of the day. After the revel they then told me some of the info that they found and detailed the interviews that they conducted. I got to stay in Cooperstown until the Afternoon on Friday and was able to go through the Hall of Fame. After I got back to Milwaukee, the show emailed copies of alot of the materials they used which was very appreciated.

I was told when the show would be on but I was not shown the video until it aired-- I was a bit nervous-- but they did a great job of making me seem prepared and composed.

In all it was a great experience and I find it very rewarding that I was in a small way able to contribute to a program which educated a lot of people about a forgot part of the games past-- it was great to see the Negro League Footage and hear about the Newark Eagles. Also I got mentioned on Rob Neyers Blog - though he didn't seem to find the story very significant

Jason

Comiskey
08-27-2010, 07:58 PM
That sounds like a great experience! It's funny you mention the house because when I was watching the show, I noticed how beautiful the house was and thought how lucky you were to own it! My wife and I went to Cooperstown in 2008 when Tony Gwynn was getting inducted and we both fell in love with the town. I have always thought since then, it would be a great place to buy a retirement home way down the line. I thought that the show was very well done and I always enjoy hearing the history of an artifact like yours.

Congrats!

Jeff

celoknob
08-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Very nice show. It looked like your scorecard was not scored. Did History Detectives (or you) ever find a box score for the game? I think they said Robinson hit a HR. Also, it would seem possible that they could have found someone who attended the game (maybe the child of someone who worked at the park, for example) but I guess not.

jdmeltz
08-28-2010, 04:41 AM
Very interesting story! For those who missed it, you can see the episode online here:
http://video.pbs.org/video/1565249292/

Scott Garner
08-28-2010, 05:17 AM
Great stuff Jason! Very cool!

Jason19th
08-28-2010, 06:41 AM
Actually the scorecard was scored but the pencil notation doesn't come through that clearly on the scans -- i'll try to put some up later that show the scoring

Jason

Joe_G.
08-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Very neat scorecard, loaded with history. In the micro-film clip, you can see that the National League All-Stars were led by Honus Wagner. Congratulations.

roarfrom34
08-28-2010, 01:17 PM
In the Philadelphia area it's on tomorrow night @ 6 I believe

ethicsprof
08-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Jason

great story!!
congratulations!!!

i love the forum getting great exposure in the media!!

best,

barry