PDA

View Full Version : O/T but... Clemens to be Indicted?

canjond
08-19-2010, 12:25 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/20/sports/baseball/20clemens.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

HRBAKER
08-19-2010, 12:31 PM
I guess the Congress takes it unkindly when the half truths are coming from the other side of the table. ;)

chaddurbin
08-19-2010, 12:45 PM
clemens is indicted while they still got nothing on bonds? another case of the race card rearing its ugly head.

alanu
08-19-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm just glad Congress doesn't have more pressing issues to deal with.

Anthony S.
08-19-2010, 12:52 PM
The difference with Bonds seems to be that his numbskull "trainer" Greg Anderson, who allegedly provided Bonds with the 'roids, would rather be held in contempt of court and go to jail than testify against him.

calvindog
08-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Anthony--I agree.

teetwoohsix
08-19-2010, 02:00 PM
"Federal authorities persuaded McNamee to cooperate with them in exchange for not charging him with steroid distribution"..........

"Federal authorities indict Clemens on charges of making false statements to congress about using PED's"................

So the dealer/distributor walks free but the person accused of using them and allegedly lying about using them faces prison time?

Wow.:confused:

HRBAKER
08-19-2010, 02:01 PM
"Federal authorities persuaded McNamee to cooperate with them in exchange for not charging him with steroid distribution"..........

"Federal authorities indict Clemens on charges of making false statements to congress about using PED's"................

So the dealer/distributor walks free but the person accused of using them and allegedly lying about using them faces prison time?

Wow.:confused:

Clayton,

It's like fishing, you throw the little ones back and keep the big ones.

teetwoohsix
08-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Well put Jeff :D

slidekellyslide
08-19-2010, 02:30 PM
The guys who told the truth about their involvement with steroids and HGH have come out of this scandal with little or no damage. Andy Pettite is doing commercials for Dove Soap for crying out loud...Roger Clemens lied, got caught lying and even took it to a disgustingly personal level in his battle with McNamee which is much more despicable than taking PED's IMO. Now it's probably too late for Clemens to pull a Mark McGwire and issue a fake apology.

HRBAKER
08-19-2010, 02:32 PM
The guys who told the truth about their involvement with steroids and HGH have come out of this scandal with little or no damage. Andy Pettite is doing commercials for Dove Soap for crying out loud...Roger Clemens lied, got caught lying and even took it to a disgustingly personal level in his battle with McNamee which is much more despicable than taking PED's IMO. Now it's probably too late for Clemens to pull a Mark McGwire and issue a fake apology.

Don't forget that Roger even threw his wife under the bus too.

slidekellyslide
08-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Don't forget that Roger even threw his wife under the bus too.

Heck, he threw her under the bus long before the steroid investigations even started (Mindy McCready), but yeah, that was pretty despicable too.

Anthony S.
08-19-2010, 02:43 PM
I am experiencing an unseemly level of schadenfreude right now.

HRBAKER
08-19-2010, 02:45 PM
I am experiencing an unseemly level of schadenfreude right now.

+1

boysblue
08-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Clemens is the epitome of the arrogant contemporary athlete. He is a scoundrel. I hope he gets what he deserves.

pwilk17
08-19-2010, 03:27 PM
I sure hope this does not negatively affect the value of my Clemens Rookie Card!

drc
08-19-2010, 03:51 PM
My feeling on the matter is if you allow people to lie under oath, you're sure to have a horrible judicial system.

Doug
08-19-2010, 04:10 PM

That's Congress for you... :rolleyes:

Fuddjcal
08-19-2010, 04:28 PM
he is a complete idiot. Why do these guys feel they can't come clean. It was an era when the players knew it, the owners knew it and the fans knew it. We didn't care then. I am more pissed they try to sweep it under the mat. Just admit it and move on. I hope the jack A gets what he deserves 5-10 in the state pen....Liar liar pants on fire.:D

dabigyankeeman
08-19-2010, 04:42 PM

My sentiments exactly.

tbob
08-19-2010, 04:50 PM
My feeling on the matter is if you allow people to lie under oath, you're sure to have a horrible judicial system.

Unfortunately it happens a lot more often than you think.
As far as the government pressuring McNamee or even giving him immunity to get Clemens, it happens all the time. When your client is the one getting the break, it's great, when your client is the targeted one, it sucks big time.

shimozukawa
08-19-2010, 05:30 PM

Pup6913
08-20-2010, 04:45 PM
I remember watching a box break contest with some kids at the national. The one who go the lowest #rd card won a prize if he decided to trade it in. So one kid pulled a 1/1 refractor (which I would have sold) and traded it for a ball autoed by Clemens:(. He thought he got something great. I told him he should ask for some money along with the ball to make it worth the trade:D

What kinda CO. promotes this crap, much less him and bonds and others like that stupid idiot AROID.:eek: They should have all their records marked * or voided. JMO

bmarlowe1
08-21-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm with Shimozukawa on this one. What concerns me most is that both the witness against him and the incriminating physical evidence are clearly unreliable (unless I missed something here or there is additional evidence yet to be dislosed) - yet apparently he will be prosecuted anyway. I guess it's easy to do that when the defendant is almost universally disliked. I don't care for him, but I do hope he walks.

chris6net
08-21-2010, 10:54 PM
No matter what happens to Clemens I will always cherish the look on his face in the 10th inning of the 1986 World Series while the Mets were batting. CN

FrankWakefield
08-21-2010, 11:08 PM
He'd have been better off to have not testified.

I think one day someone will seek an injunction to stop a congressional hearing. Boiled down, the US govt is supposed to maintain a navy, raise an army when necessary, represent the collective states in international matters, regulate commerce among the states... and that's about it. Baseball is beyond their perview. They have no business conducting most of the hearings that they hold. The only good part about their hearings is that at least while they're doing that they're not passing any new laws or spending bills.

Still, going in there and lying under oath is just asking to go another round that will be lost. My recollection is that he had good counsel that wanted him to not testify, but that he thought he was wiser than they and he wanted to testify. He may well have testified himself out of the Hall and into the hoosegow.

teetwoohsix
08-22-2010, 10:49 AM
This is the U.S.A. right? Guilty until proven innocent?:rolleyes:

I don't know whether he used PEDS or not, but McNamee's word doesn't seem too credible to me........he has an alterior motive. Getting his own butt off the hot seat.

Clayton