PDA

View Full Version : Collecting Autographs in the good old days

RichardSimon
08-18-2010, 03:59 PM
I started collecting autographs TTM about 27 years ago.
My son and I found old timers addresses in Baseball Hobby News (remember that one?) and it seemed like a fun thing to do. At that time I was only collecting baseball cards and autographs seemed more intimate and interesting to me.
I kept logs outlining who we wrote to, when we wrote to them and when they returned the autograph.
I kept the logs all these years and thought the results would be of interest to the board.
Bobby Thomson took 11 days from my mailing to my getting his autograph back.
Hubbell 14, Joe DiMaggio (yes he signed TTM back then,but only 1 at a time) 31 days, Durocher 8, Maglie 8, Mize 12, Snider 24, Irvin 8, Greenberg 8, Berra 17, B. Robinson 7, Wilhelm, 7, Aaron 76, Terry 7, Spahn 9, Gehringer 32, Feller 5, Reese 9, Koufax 28, Slaughter 7, Alvin Dark 99, Alston 7, Boudreau 39, Hoyt 7, Appling 260, Kell 10, Mathews 8, Dickey 18, Roush 12, Sewell 11, Roberts 7 (made up for him shooting me down as a kid outside the Polo Grounds), Judy Johnson 6, Drysdale 7, Musial 10.
There were many more but those are the highlights.
---

shimozukawa
08-18-2010, 04:11 PM

David Atkatz
08-18-2010, 05:17 PM
I started collecting TTM in 1965. Back then you could obtain complete checks of Ty Cobb, Mickey Cochrane, and Eppa Rixey, and check cuts of Mel Ott, and Home Run Baker from their widows.

theshleps
08-21-2010, 12:23 PM
I received all those checks too, signed cards by Jackie Robinson etc. Wish I hadn't sold them all for college spending money in 1969. Sold to a collector/dealer named Max in NYC. Would love to buy them back

HRBAKER
08-21-2010, 12:26 PM
I started in the mid-60s by writing to the Cardinals only. By the end of a few summers I had quite a stack of those team issued B&W PCs signed by many of them. Most of the players then signed on the back.

cdn_collector
08-21-2010, 12:38 PM
This isn't nearly the same, but back in 1992 [I was 12], myself and some friends mailed a letter to Kelly Gruber asking him to autograph 5 cards for us [one for each of us; 2 for the guy for whom Gruber was his favourite player]. We mailed them to the Toronto Blue Jays corporate office, and shortly after we did he was traded to California.

A few months went by and they never came back, so we started to give up hope. In August of '93, my family moved so I was sure that was the end of that experiment.

The one day in early 1994, a letter shows up at the new house addressed to me [old address, but mail forwarding hadn't quite run out yet] from Kelly Gruber's home address. In it? All five cards, completely unharmed and autographed.

I realize that is apples to oranges, comparing with the likes of Cobb, Robinson, Aaron, Snider, etc., but I was always impressed by the fact that after all that time -- and no longer even in the majors -- Gruber took the time to respond.

Regards,

Richard.

EARLSWORLD
08-21-2010, 03:35 PM
I remember my first experience with TTMs in 1977. I was a Sophomore in high school then. I met a classmate who collected as I did. However, he showed me many of the cards he had that were autographed. I was so amazed when he told me how easy it was to get autographs through the mail. From that moment on, I was hooked! Back then, I sent all my requests to the organization the player was with. I remember getting back my first returns. What an exciting time it was! I can still remember the feeling of opening each return from Garvey, Yaz, Brooks Robby and many other now HOFs! It seemed like just about everyone signed back then...not for cash either!

packs
08-21-2010, 04:21 PM
10 or 15 years ago my dad bought me and my brother a book of addresses and we sent out cards to every living HOFer. Most wrote back and were happy to sign my card for me. But others were real grimey about it and returned my letter and card in my SASE without a signature and with a list of the prices they charged for various autographs, even though I had sent them a pretty worthless card to sign, which they could have just personalized if they really felt like I was out to gain anything but a signature from someone I respected. Always rubbed me the wrong way. When you're at a show that's one thing, people know well in advance you'll be charging. But through the mail? I wrote each of them back advising them to get a job if they needed my ten dollars that badly.

Jerry G
08-21-2010, 04:23 PM
I also had some great luck starting in the middle '60's with autographs through the mail. I sent out dozens of large and small magazine pictures and Jay's 5x7's. they all came back signed except one. I received Greenberg, Grove, Sisler, Joe D., Casey, Koufax, Foxx and Dizzy among others. The only one that didn't respond? Willie Mays. I'll get over it. Maybe.

So, I was long on luck, but short on brains. I did not realize that you could actually go to Woolworths and buy different sized envelopes! I just used whatever Mom and Dad had in the house. Consequently, I have a few folds.

HRBAKER
08-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Jerry,
Those are beauties. The folds give them character. Good to hear that Mays was his usual coopertaive self even 50 years ago.

vintagechris
08-21-2010, 07:40 PM
10 or 15 years ago my dad bought me and my brother a book of addresses and we sent out cards to every living HOFer. Most wrote back and were happy to sign my card for me. But others were real grimey about it and returned my letter and card in my SASE without a signature and with a list of the prices they charged for various autographs, even though I had sent them a pretty worthless card to sign, which they could have just personalized if they really felt like I was out to gain anything but a signature from someone I respected. Always rubbed me the wrong way. When you're at a show that's one thing, people know well in advance you'll be charging. But through the mail? I wrote each of them back advising them to get a job if they needed my ten dollars that badly.

IMO, you writing back to them and chastising them was pretty disrespectful. It is their choice to sign for free or charge if they like. The thing is too, had you paid what they were asking back then, most would be worth quite a bit more today.

vintagechris
08-21-2010, 07:46 PM
In 1983 I saw an ad in SCD for Jack Smallings address list. I bought it thinking I would try a few players and see if it worked.

I sent for Mickey Mantle, Pete Rose, and Ted Williams. After a couple of months of waiting, I gave up. Then about 6 months after I mailed them, my Dad brings me some mail for me. Ted Williams had signed my card! Wow! I was one excited 14 year old.

I then spent a couple of summers writing to HOF'ers and got players like Mays, Aaron, Joe D. , HUbbell, Roush just about all the living HOF'ers. Never did get Mantle or Rose back.

As far as Mays, I probably sent to him 10 times back then and he always signed. I know his reputation but he was always nice to this 14 year old kid.

milkit1
08-21-2010, 07:49 PM
I did a lot of ttm in the late 80's. one of my fave things that I still have is Donald Honigs Baseball in the 30's book that I got signed 74 signatures in, almost all through the mail. The book got so beat up from me mailing it that my dad had to reinforce the spine but its super cool still. Sure miss those days.

milkit1
08-21-2010, 07:53 PM
some more of my fave through the mail items:
I collected reprints pages from the 1933 whos who in baseball book and got about 50 of them signed through the mail.
Also got this 1930 and 31 Philadelphia ASthletics team photo signed by Dib Williams and Roger cramer. Dib williams wrote on the back :"I think roger cramer and I are the only players still alive from this team". I got Williams first. I sent to Cramer and 2 weeks later found out he died. A few days later this came in the mail. It must of been about the last thing he ever signed.

packs
08-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Who was one guy you guys thought would never write back to you and did?

David Atkatz
08-22-2010, 07:58 PM
I also had some great luck starting in the middle '60's with autographs through the mail.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those Mantle and Maris signatures are rubber stamps. I have the identical ones, obtained the same way.

mr2686
08-22-2010, 08:10 PM
In 20 or 30 years THESE will be the good old days :eek:

Jerry G
08-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Jerry,
Those are beauties. The folds give them character. Good to hear that Mays was his usual coopertaive self even 50 years ago.

Jeff,

Cards with character remind me of the blind date with "a great personality."

I was late to the party for the Cardinals team issued postcards, but I sure miss them since they stopped making them. They were awesome.

Jerry G
08-22-2010, 09:45 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those Mantle and Maris signatures are rubber stamps. I have the identical ones, obtained the same way.

You're just trying to make me feel better about folding them, aren't you?;)
I appreciate the info. Thanks.

milkit1
08-23-2010, 06:34 AM
George Harrison. Got him back once. Was never successful again.

Hot Springs Bathers
08-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Richard I kept a journal like yours from 1977 thru 1988 on my TTM requests. I got most of the baseball addresses from The Trader Speaks, they ran a few inside the front cover for years.

One of my favorites was a Cool Papa Bell from 1979. His daughter enclosed a note that said "Cool Papa can't see no more but he liked your letter so he signed your photo." It made me feel great.

In the early 1980s one of my jobs as SID at a school was to oversee a photo lab. I used to make 8x10s from photos in books then mail them away. I ran into some strange happenings in the 1980s. A request to Jocko Conlan came back with his personal request for prayers. He died the next day. Same from Carl Hubbell, he passed a week later.

On the football side, my letter to Sammy Baugh was mailed July 17, 1986 and the photo came back July 17, 1987. A request to Bobby Layne came back in 6 days and while watching Sports Center that night I learned that he died that day. I quit writing people for a period after that.

I did a project in the late 1980s writing to the 1964 Cardinals, they were wonderful, most sent letters and additional photos since I was just sending index cards.

Earlier this year I wrote Wally Moon, Carl Erskine and George Shuba, my first letters in over a decade. I received no responses. I guess those days have passed.

I looked back through my journals this morning and I can't find a single instance from that earlier period when a football player including HOFers did not respond. I am guessing that the hockey guys were much the same. Every one that I have ever met in person has been wonderful.

metrotheme
08-24-2010, 07:52 PM
That's odd because Erskine is one of the best TTM signers out there. Moon and Shuba both charge TTM.

Earlier this year I wrote Wally Moon, Carl Erskine and George Shuba, my first letters in over a decade. I received no responses. I guess those days have passed.

canjond
08-24-2010, 09:26 PM
Growing up I was an avid TTM autograph collector. I recently sent out a few letters again to get some unique items signed. Bobby Doerr continue to be a class act and is very generous, responding to every letter he receives.

Heritage Sports
08-30-2010, 07:18 AM
Just curious, as I've never tried it, but what even happens if you try to get modern stars (A-Rod, Pujols, etc.) through the mail today? Do you even get back an "Are you kidding me??" note from their handlers? Absolutely nothing? A flyer with their price lists?

prewarsports
08-30-2010, 08:53 AM
I had tremendous success in the late 1980's and it was one of my favorite hobbies. I remember having the least success with Basketball players, however and most sent back the cards unsigned or just never returned them. I did beat the odds and got back a signed Michael Jordan in 1989. I had a ton of success with hockey players (growing up in Maine) and I cant remember anyone sending me back the cards I sent unsigned. Wayne Gretzky sent me back my cards unsigned but sent me an 8X10 signed, and I remember Lemieux, Yzerman, Brett Hull etc all signing. I never wrote to retired stars, just current players at the stadium and it was really fun.

Rhys

packs
08-30-2010, 02:49 PM
When Rick Ankiel was just coming up I sent him a copy of the Beckett he was on the cover of. I didn't even have his address, so I just sent it to the Cardinals. To my surprise, he sent it back to me with a nice signature. It's too bad he didn't pan out, but it shows his character even then when he was on top of the world.

A few years ago I also sent Don Mattingly some items from Don Mattingly Day at Yankee Stadium, a ticket and a couple of 8 x 10's the Yankees handed out at the stadium for the event. He signed everything. It made me happy that my favorite player as a kid was a stand up guy too.

Last year I sent David Price tickets from his ML debut against the Yankees. I sent them to the Rays but have never seen them again. Wish I could have those back.

Writehooks
08-30-2010, 06:43 PM
In 1980 I sent a ball to Catfish Hunter, c/o "General Delivery, Hertford, N.C." I also enclosed a short note requesting that he personalize the autograph, and a money order for $10 to cover return postage. A few weeks later, I was thrilled to receive a package marked "special delivery." Inside was the ball — beautifully inscribed — along with two signed color photos and the UNCASHED money order, along with a handwritten note from Hunter that said he was "just happy to have fans up in Canada." Truly a classy guy.

danc
08-31-2010, 05:04 PM
I wrote TTM's from 1980 to roughly 1986 with great success as well. I would have success (usually a 1927 Yankee) and hound them until they told me that they have signed enough for me. I would then use another address. I apologize to James "Cool Papa" Bell, Mark Koenig, George Uhle and George Pipgras.

Today, through StarTiger, I still do a little as "side fun", but mostly non-baseball as all you get with baseball it seems nowadays is "no success" or a a dreaded price list.

A few years ago I wrote to every pitcher (that I could) that gave up Maris' home run ball (no stars unless you count Pappas and Larsen) and I actually got 80% back, to my surprise. Those were the days though.

DanC

slidekellyslide
08-31-2010, 06:23 PM
back in the early to mid 1980s I used to send some TTM requests and got back quite a few...I think they were mostly rubber stamps. What made me mad though was that I sent probably 10 requests to the Boston Red Sox...my favorite team and I didn't get a single one back. I sent Pete O'Brien three cards to sign..one each of his rookie cards from 1984..he signed the Fleer, but sent the other two back unsigned...maybe he thought I was going to try to sell his autograph for a whole 25 cents or something?

Last year I tried an experiment and sent out about 20 requests to players who played for Lincoln in the minors from 1947 to 61...I only got one back signed - Larry Shepard who managed in the mid 1950s and went on to manage the Pirates and coach for the Reds. In May I saw a newspaper article on a guy who played for Lincoln in 1948 and I just happened to have a photo of him so I had the photo copied and sent him a few which I told him he could keep. He sent me back the signed photo and even typed up a letter to me which he also signed. I thought that was awesome. He's 89 years old.

HRBAKER
08-31-2010, 06:40 PM
Just curious, as I've never tried it, but what even happens if you try to get modern stars (A-Rod, Pujols, etc.) through the mail today? Do you even get back an "Are you kidding me??" note from their handlers? Absolutely nothing? A flyer with their price lists?

They go into a very large black hole never to be seen again. I have been in a major league clubhouse before and the amount of mail in the tubs for the fringe guys would surprise you.

HRBAKER
08-31-2010, 06:43 PM
I restarted ttm in 1986 after a long layoff from childhood and have sent some out every year since. I have about 400+ out in 2010. I have always kept a record of who, what, when and when rec'd back. Started out on a legal pad and migrated to an excel spreadsheet once I entered the computer age in 1994. I have a wall calendar that hangs in my office and I write down each day on it who i get back if any. I believe the most I ever sent out in a year was about 1200.

Luke
09-03-2010, 08:31 PM
I did the same thing as a kid (in the 1990's). Some of my favorites are Kiner, Slaughter, Feller, Doerr, Mathews, Joe Morgan, and a bunch of the current ballplayers. Never was disciplined enough to keep track of them all though.

Luke