PDA

View Full Version : Geddy Lee's Collection Room -- w/ pictures & video

CW
08-15-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm a big fan of the band Rush, and was recently checking out their
new documentary "Beyond the Lighted Stage". On the extra features
disc, they made a short video focusing on the band's hobbies. Geddy
Lee, the singer, bassist, & keyboardist for the band, has been a fan of
baseball for some time, and has amassed a very nice collection.

Here are a few larger snapshots from the piece, and at the bottom of
this post you'll find a link to the YouTube video. We should all have
collection rooms like this! :)

Here's a shot of some of Geddy's Yankees memorabilia, including single-
signed balls of Gehrig and Ruth, and what looks to be a game used cap,
perhaps Gehrig or Ruth as well.

http://a.imageshack.us/img40/1056/1dvdo.jpg

Next up is Geddy holding a Joe Jackson bat. In the video, Geddy claims
that this is 1 of 2 known bats believed to have belonged to Shoeless Joe.

I'm not sure about the validity of that claim -- do any Shoeless Joe
collectors know if this is indeed true?

http://a.imageshack.us/img231/376/2dvd.jpg

A quick shot of Geddy in front of his signed baseball display case...

http://a.imageshack.us/img341/6452/3dvd.jpg

And an interior closeup view, including his Mathewson signed ball....

http://a.imageshack.us/img10/3526/4dvdv.jpg

And, finally, here's the YouTube vid...

(Scroll forward to 2:50 for the baseball part)

<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g7tsXHkLf9w?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0 x6b8ab6&amp;border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g7tsXHkLf9w?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0 x6b8ab6&amp;border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7tsXHkLf9w

HRBAKER
08-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Fabulous, thanks for sharing. Imagine what he could do with his "uncle's country place." ;)

barrysloate
08-15-2010, 03:41 PM
If that Matty ball is real that's one heck of a signature!

khkco4bls
08-15-2010, 06:43 PM
chuck, thoroughly enjoyed that video of the band. i always was a big rush fan. who would of thought of a canadian musician collecting baseball memorabilia. thanks for posting.

CW
08-15-2010, 06:59 PM
You're more than welcome, guys. Glad you enjoyed it!

ChiefBenderForever
08-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Very cool, I hope he has a first edition signed copy of Tom Sawyer.

drc
08-15-2010, 08:12 PM

esehombre
08-15-2010, 08:36 PM
This was outstanding!! I have a tickets in hand for Sept 29th in Atlanta--I was actually able to see Geddy's Negro League collection on display at the Negro League Museum in Kansas City. Thanks for posting the pics and links to the music...I cant stop thinkin big...I cant stop thinkin big!!!

ullmandds
08-15-2010, 09:23 PM
that's awesome...I seem to have motorcycles and bb in common with neil and geddy. planning to see them at the mn state fairnext week...maybe they'll hang with me after the show!

Beatles Guy
08-15-2010, 10:10 PM
I never knew that Geddy was such a collector. I'll be seeing them next Sunday here in St. Louis. Looking forward to it of course.

Scott Garner
08-16-2010, 05:08 AM
If that Matty ball is real that's one heck of a signature!

Barry,
It's the real deal and I totally agree! It's quite possibly the nicest single signed ball in the hobby. It's Matty's game ball from his 17th consecutive win. This Matty ball sold in the Historic Auctions Nov. 29th and 30th, 2007 auction. I don't recall what it sold for in the auction, but it was a boatload!:eek:

BTW, This was a record that "Rocket" Roger Clemens (PED user) took down a few years ago.

barrysloate
08-16-2010, 05:40 AM
That's pretty incredible.

Exhibitman
08-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Great stuff! Geddy, you're invited to join N54!

Rob D.
08-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Great stuff! Geddy, you're invited to join N54!

I think he usually tries to avoid limelight when it comes to his collection.

slidekellyslide
08-16-2010, 01:01 PM

I'd say he did a good job of that...I had no idea he was even a fan of baseball until now.

BrockJacob
08-16-2010, 01:18 PM
He is also a big fantasy baseball guru.
Another shot of Geddy with his collection...

BillyCoxDodgers3B
08-16-2010, 01:57 PM

Maybe you just have to be Canadian to get that one, Rob.

HRBAKER
08-16-2010, 02:04 PM

Oh no, it was noticed.

FUBAR
08-16-2010, 02:14 PM
ditto.. but then again, im canadian.

Lordstan
08-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Ok
Now I'm issuing the Early Warning about the Permanent Wave of Puns approaching on Rush song titles.
Allow me to continue.
I appreciate how his signed ball collection is in Subdivisions. (ie HOF pitchers, presidents)
I guess when your a Working Man in a Big Wheel rock group like Rush, you can spend the Big Money on an item like the Mathewson ball.
Next!

Also, Isn't it a little strange that a born and bred canadian guy collects US president signed balls.

mr2686
08-16-2010, 03:00 PM
As far as collecting U.S. Presidents on baseballs...who knows, maybe he was just "In the Mood".

FUBAR
08-16-2010, 03:35 PM
well if Geddy tried to collect balls signed by Canadians, we wouldn't have much to talk about. I'd like to see is trailer park boys stuff... maybe he has a Bubbles and Kitty signed ball!

Abravefan11
08-16-2010, 08:05 PM

He certainly doesn't appear to be a fly by night collector.

Mark
08-17-2010, 09:27 PM
If you look at the Mears index for Joe Jackson bats, there is a 2007 LOA that says that there are only two "full signiture model Joe Jackson bats" that can be attributed to his playing days. In 2008, however, they authenicated / opinionated three different Joe Jackson bats and attribute them all to his playing days. So that makes at least 4 and there are maybe 5. There are also numerous store models, post-career, cork grip, and YMCA bats. There are also a few Black Betsy's without a Jackson signiture or block letters.

Exhibitman
08-18-2010, 06:43 AM

N54 as the "limelight"; that's rich...Rush lyrical reference notwithstanding.

Rob D.
08-18-2010, 07:13 AM
N54 as the "limelight"; that's rich...

As powerful as a force ten, in case you didn't know.

byrone
08-18-2010, 10:22 AM
His collection makes Time Stand Still

Exhibitman
08-18-2010, 12:42 PM
You've been a great crowd, enjoy Foghat.

CW
08-18-2010, 05:49 PM
If you look at the Mears index for Joe Jackson bats, there is a 2007 LOA that says that there are only two "full signiture model Joe Jackson bats" that can be attributed to his playing days. In 2008, however, they authenicated / opinionated three different Joe Jackson bats and attribute them all to his playing days. So that makes at least 4 and there are maybe 5. There are also numerous store models, post-career, cork grip, and YMCA bats. There are also a few Black Betsy's without a Jackson signiture or block letters.

Very interesting, Mark -- thanks for the info! It wasn't so much that I
was doubting the "1 of 2" claim, just that sometimes collectors are misled,
or new examples show up in the hobby. Regardless, Geddy has an
historical piece of lumber in his bat rack.

Although I'd have the Freewill to buy a bat like that for my collection,
there's a Ghost of a Chance that I'd ever have Big Money like that. :o

Mark
08-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Hi,
It's also important to bear in mind that Mears is not the only business that authenticates bats, so if you consulted PSA/DNA they might have a few more specimens from the playing days. Anyway, Geddy has good taste. Who knew? I sure wish I had a Jackson bat. When I was a kid, I found some old bats in my grandfather's basement, and one of them was a vintage Black Betsey softball bat. I like it but it doesn't cut much ice in the collecting world, I'd guess.

BBSD
08-20-2010, 07:48 PM
How many of you guys think you've been outbid by Geddy?

Al C.risafulli
09-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Just saw this thread, surprised at the number of Rush fans.

Geddy Lee donated a big collection of autographed balls to the Negro Leagues Hall of Fame a few years ago, if I remember correctly.

Pretty cool stuff, CW - thanks for sharing (and I hope you're doing well, it's been a while).

Side note - just caught Rush in Jersey last week, they played "Moving Pictures" from start to finish. I brought my 10-year-old Rush fanatic son with me, he was astounded.

-Al

roarfrom34
09-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Brewer's carcher, Gregg Zaun was on XM Radio the other week talking about what a big fan of Rush he was and that he had seen them in concert the night before in Columbus (he was friends with Lee from his time in Toronto).