PDA

View Full Version : Help w/Hugh Casey signed ball

cubsguy1969
08-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Made an interesting estate sale find today: a Hugh Casey single signed baseball. I couldn't find many signatures online for sale and saw that he died at age 37 in 1951. Suicide, very sad.
Anyone have any idea if this looks real? I can't see why anyone would forge a Hugh Casey sig, but I guess anything's possible. Any idea on value?

This house was full of Brooklyn Dodgers stuff. Got there late in the day, so who knows what kind of cool stuff sold before I got there. Oh well.

FUBAR
08-14-2010, 06:52 PM
is there a label on the ball??

cubsguy1969
08-14-2010, 06:56 PM
It has "Official League Ball."
On another side it says "No. 100, Fat. No. 17,200, Cushioned Cork Center, 9 In. 5 oz.)"
Also says "Official Weight and Size" above his signature.

PhilNap
08-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Here's a Casey signature for comparison

cubsguy1969
08-16-2010, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the help so far.
It took some doing, but I did find another Casey single signed ball from a 2006 Leland's auction. I guess they're fairly rare because of his suicide. The sig on my ball compares fairly favorably to that one, and mine's much clearer and bolder. (Link below to Leland's.) But I'm certainly no autograph expert. It looks like theirs sold for $300. I paid only 20 bucks at the sale for mine, so that would be a decent profit. :)
Any other thoughts on the ball? Should I send it in to get it authenticated? I used to be a PSA member but let my membership expire. How much does it typically cost to authenticate a ball? Not sure it'd be worth the expense. Does it add or detract that he's also written "Brooklyn Dodgers" on the ball? I would think it would add to it, but I don't know what most single signed ball collectors are looking for.
Thanks. Rob

http://lelands.com/Auction/AuctionDetailed/29636?page=2

canjond
08-16-2010, 11:52 AM
You don't need to be a member to submit to PSA/DNA. Hugh Casey appears to be a $20.00 fee. I'm sure the fee is somewhat similar for JSA as well.