PDA

View Full Version : 1937 Yankees Team Photo - Premium?

GehrigFan
08-13-2010, 08:24 AM
One of my pickups at the National for my Gehrig collection was this original photo. A little rough, but I love the overall design.

The thing is, I don't think this is a standard type 1 original photograph. It is on a sepia-toned paper stock that suggests this might be a Premium of some sort, but I don't recognize it. The only Yankees Team Premium around this time that I am aware of is the 1936 R311, but nothing after that until postwar.

The image is definitely first generation, and the stock matches similar paper issues of the era, so I'm sure it wasn't issued much later than 1937-38. Does anyone recognze this?

Thanks!
Mark

BIN at VCP
08-13-2010, 08:54 AM
I can't offer much insight on the photo itself. However, regarding when it was produced, you obviously know that the Yankees also won the World Series in 1938 and 1939. I doubt that anyone would be expending money on production of 1937 World Series paraphernalia after the Yankees won the 1938 World Series. So I would also bet that this was produced betwee October 1937 and October 1938.

kcohen
08-13-2010, 09:48 AM
I have the same piece that I picked at a show about five years ago. Mine is on cardboard, between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick. For what it's worth, the dealer from whom I purchased it told me that it was a team-issued premium.

From your post, I gather that yours is on thinner stock.

bcbgcbrcb
08-13-2010, 10:06 AM
I have seen these before from different seasons of Yankees championships of that era. I believe that they are original premiums also but one should be aware that many reproductions exist of these photos on modern photographic paper.