PDA

View Full Version : 1910 Obak Prototype

Vintagecatcher
08-11-2010, 01:00 PM
After reviewing the images of the pages of the 1910 Obak prototype album in the recent Legendary Auction, I noticed a couple of unusual things regarding team names.

The album pages list the Vernon team as the "Vernon Brewers" and the Seattle team as the "Seattle Siwashes."

Several other sources describe the 1910 Vernon team as the "Vernon Tigers" and the 1910 Seattle Team as the "Seattle Giants."

Futhermore, one of the pages for the Tacoma team in the prototype album omitts the team name altogether.

Is this most likely a case of the artist using more familar previous team names?

Any thoughts?

Patrick

mybuddyinc
08-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Don't know much about PCL, but Vernon "Brewers" makes sense as a "nick-nick name." Wasn't Vernon team placed there mainly because LA was a dry county, and Vernon was not, and could sell beer ? Always liked Vernon for such a reason ;) . But have always heard the name as Tigers (with some cool logos).

Solons42
08-11-2010, 01:35 PM
The Brewers nickname makes sense to me because the ballpark was next to a tavern. Many teams had multiple nicknames 100 years ago. The 1913 Sacramento Senators were also called the Solons, Wolves & Sacts. I've heard Seattle being referred to as Siwashes--check with Dave E on this one.