PDA

View Full Version : 1952 Topps Tommy Glaviano variation

Doug
08-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Has anyone else noticed that the 1952 Topps #56 Tommy Glaviano card exists with both a white and yellow backed Cardinals logo? I thought I had stumbled across a variation, but it seems like the white logo is only on black backs and the yellow logo is only on red backs.

Beatles Guy
08-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Now I'm going to have to go home and check mine :)

ALR-bishop
08-10-2010, 02:14 PM
The Glaviano is one of a few front variations I am aware of in the first 80 cards that are tied to the second printing of those cards in red after black. Boone, Wehmeir, and Kretlow also have clear front differences that are the same depending on the back color. Then too the 3 Sains and Pages, with two different black backs.

I also have 3 variations to the Campos,....regular, black star and missing front upper left border ( I have seen a few of these and it was mentioned in an SCD article recently.

Then there are the 2 Mantle variations, with clear differences on the front and back ( stitching on ball), and the two back variation of Thompson and J. Robinson ( ball stitching on back).

I have the above variations , but would appreciate knowing of others...other than than the 131 to 190 gray backs. I don't plan to attempt those.

I have been told there are front differences that can be found in the Feller ( yellow versus hazy) and Crandall ( red versus orange), but have not found them....although some Feller scans on ebay look to have different backgrounds, it is hard to tell

Doug
08-10-2010, 04:14 PM
That covers all of the variations that I know of. The most recent one I became aware of was the Campos with part of the border missing.

toppcat
08-10-2010, 05:30 PM
The Glaviano is one of a few front variations I am aware of in the first 80 cards that are tied to the second printing of those cards in red after black. Boone, Wehmeir, and Kretlow also have clear front differences that are the same depending on the back color. Then too the 3 Sains and Pages, with two different black backs.

I also have 3 variations to the Campos,....regular, black star and missing front upper left border ( I have seen a few of these and it was mentioned in an SCD article recently.

Then there are the 2 Mantle variations, with clear differences on the front and back ( stitching on ball), and the two back variation of Thompson and J. Robinson ( ball stitching on back).

I have the above variations , but would appreciate knowing of others...other than than the 131 to 190 gray backs. I don't plan to attempt those.

I have been told there are front differences that can be found in the Feller ( yellow versus hazy) and Crandall ( red versus orange), but have not found them....although some Feller scans on ebay look to have different backgrounds, it is hard to tell

I definitely saw both Fellers at the National but I posted here about the obverse differences a while back on Jackie and the Staten Island Scot. The Thompson is more obvious but there are differences on the Jackie too. A search will find that thread.

cardinalcollector
08-11-2010, 07:24 AM
The Greyback series is under appreciated in my opinion. Those cards are really hard to find. Took me over two years to find Eddie Kazak after I learned of its existence. I believe the gray backs were issued in Canada only, much like the 1954 Topps 1-50 series.

ALR-bishop
08-11-2010, 08:07 AM
The Greyback series is under appreciated in my opinion. Those cards are really hard to find. Took me over two years to find Eddie Kazak after I learned of its existence. I believe the gray backs were issued in Canada only, much like the 1954 Topps 1-50 series.

I don't under appreciate them. I am just over matched by them :)

Doug
08-11-2010, 08:27 AM
I believe the gray backs were issued in Canada only, much like the 1954 Topps 1-50 series.

That was always my understanding. Maybe someone can confirm?

Zach Wheat
08-15-2010, 07:54 PM
That was always my understanding. Maybe someone can confirm?

That is my understanding, but Ted Z is the man that can answer for sure. There are 60 gray backs (#131-190).

Here is the original link to that Net 54 discussion:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/579392/thread/1188746407/last-1196622864/Let%27s+see+your+Rare+1952+T+mid-series+GRAY

Zach