PDA

View Full Version : Help: Boxing experts. Johnson-Jeffries PC

Smokey Joe
08-10-2010, 05:56 AM
From what i have learned i have a 1911 Johnson-Jeffries Round 8 No. 64 "The great fight" postcard. Was looking for PSA to grade it. Would anyone know what or if this PC is designated with a number? Front is blank and unused with no desc. of year.

Thanks
Mark

BruinsFan
08-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Its from the July 4th 1910 Heavy Weight Championship of the world fight. Fought in Reno Nevada, shot by Dana himself. So what and why do you think that grading a Photo Postcard is gonna do for you? Its a Postcard...I have 30 of these types from the fight....They now sell on ebay for $30.00-$50.00. What more is there to say...Its Not a trade card or Tobacco Card.

Smokey Joe
08-10-2010, 09:13 AM
It's a friends PC and since i deal with vintage baseball cards and never sent in a Boxing PC before i needed some advice. Did not know price (now i do) so i will inform him that it is not worth grading.

Thanks

D. Bergin
08-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Yeah, 1910 Dana Photo Postcard.

I've had some of these sell for over $100, but it has to be one of the clearer or more important shots from the fight. It helps if both of their faces are visible or if it's a nice crisp overhead crowd shot with decent clarity of the fight action in the ring.

Individual clear shots featuring Johnson in the ring, Pre-Fight, also seem to do pretty well.

I wouldn't rely on the numbering if you are one of those set completists either, unless it's from a complete pre-packaged album that Dana put together himself.

It seems like every album he put together was custom made with a different set of Postcard #'s................not to mention the bootlegs others made from his original photos, which are of the era, but basically real photos OF his photos cropped into a Postcard format. Sometimes you can even see the thumbtacks cropped into the photo holding the original image up on the board being photographed by the bootleggers, or maybe even Dana did these himself, when he didn't have access to his original negs...............he did tend to photograph and develop a lot of these on-site at the event to sell to fans.

Later on he would create custom albums to sell to customers or send to colleagues, newspapermen...........after the fight.

Smokey Joe
08-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Great info!!!! Told my friend the news and we both agreed to not send for grading.

Thanks