PDA

View Full Version : National Memorabilia Photos

sayhey24
08-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Here are a few memorabilia photos from the National:

First my favorite pickups:

1937 All Star game pin with ribbon featuring all the players.

Brass rocking chair presented to Charlie Gehringer at Mets Old-Timers game - his name in engraved on the top and on the tiny bats used as spindles.

Photos from TSN/Sport Magazine archives:
-I own the Cooperstown sign in the first photo, so I was thrilled to find the companion photo.
-H&B display also featuring Hartlands
-1950s HOF

MANY more photos posted on my website:

baseballbasement.com

Greg

sayhey24
08-06-2010, 08:06 AM
A few more photos:

I'll provide some descriptions and observations tonight and over the weekend.

MANY more photos on my website:

baseball basement.com

Greg

sayhey24
08-06-2010, 08:10 AM
John Taube's booth:

Greg

IronHorse2130
08-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Thanks for sharing these great photos! Do you know anything about the statue of the 19th century ballplayer? Were these located at cigar stores? When were they produced? I ask because my uncle as one identical to the one you photographed.

sayhey24
08-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Hi Ben,

I don't know much about the statue other than it was quite striking looking and about 3-4 feet tall and made of some sort of composite material. It looks a lot like the Kessler Whiskey statues, but there is no advertising on this one.
The dealer had no background info and thinks it's from the 60s, which I would agree with. His asking price was $400.

Greg

perezfan
08-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Many thanks for posting those photos, Greg...

Do you recall who had the game-used Reds Jerseys?

sayhey24
08-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Many thanks for posting those photos, Greg...

Do you recall who had the game-used Reds Jerseys?

I have the name of the dealer with the Reds flannels and knit jerseys at home, and can provide it tonight. They also had some great Reds bats, including a 67 Rose Adirondack, several mid 60s Cardenas AS bats, and others ( I have one photo of a few of those on my website -- baseballbasement.com -- I can post another tonight).

Greg

perezfan
08-06-2010, 01:47 PM
I have the name of the dealer with the Reds flannels and knit jerseys at home, and can provide it tonight. They also had some great Reds bats, including a 67 Rose Adirondack, several mid 60s Cardenas AS bats, and others ( I have one photo of a few of those on my website -- baseballbasement.com -- I can post another tonight).

Greg

Thanks Greg... would love to get that dealer's name/contact info if it's not too much trouble. Thanks again, and hope you are having a great trip!

Mark

perezfan
08-06-2010, 02:01 PM
NM - duplicate post

prewarsports
08-06-2010, 04:26 PM
I cant believe I am not in that photo digging through the SPORT Magazine archives. I bet I spent 12 hours there between the 2 days. Going through those things was one of the more enjoyable experiences I have had at any National. Really great guys and amazing stuff!

Rhys

Tedw9
08-07-2010, 06:20 AM
Wow, you own that Cooperstown sign? That is an incredible piece!

Thank you for taking photos and sharing with those of us who could not be there.

sayhey24
08-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Ted,

Here's a photo of my sign -- the flash from the camera makes the sign look a little strange because of reflective metal in the paint, but that's not the way it looks in person.

There were four or five of these signs made and posted at the main entrances to the village, three are known to have survived. Mine is not the same one pictured in the wire photo, because mine has the arrow attached.

I'll be posting more photos and video from the National later today at baseballbasement.com

Greg

GrayGhost
08-07-2010, 07:42 AM
This stuff makes me jealous, but is why I love this stuff so much. AWESOME sign indeed and thanks for all the other great pics from Baltimore.

sayhey24
08-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Hi Mark,

Here is the info on the Reds jerseys and bats. The booth is that of Diamond Sports Company, owned by Mark Fugate of Ohio.

Here's a shot of a few more of their bats.

There are also more photos from their booth and about 100 other photos from the National now on my website -- www.baseballbasement.com

Greg

perezfan
08-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks so much, Greg. Makes me really wish I was there, but can hopefully make contact with them afterwards. Can't wait to view the additional photos on your site.

Thanks again for bringing a portion of The National to us!

CarltonHendricks
08-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Greg, Just looked at your 2010 National photos on your site...great job, nice shots...thanks for sharing. -Carlton
...PS, like that Harley Davidson pennant

Old Hoss
08-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks for posting some great pictures! Did you, or anyone else, see any 19th century scorecards/programs this year?

Thanks!

Bumpus Jones
08-08-2010, 06:26 AM
Hi Greg,

Thanks for posting all of these pics.

Can you tell me who the dealer from atlanta with all the old caps for sale is?

Thanks,

Chris

sayhey24
08-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Carlton (and everyone else) -- thanks for the kind words about the photos -- I absolutely love your photos and stories from the National and your other adventures. Your recent story about the Yale fence was great.

Old Hoss -- I don't recall seeing any 19th century programs or scorecards, but on the other hand, I wasn't specifically looking for them.

Chris -- I didn't mention the name of the dealer from Atlanta on my website, because I'm sorry to say I can't remember it, and can't find it in my notes. He's not listed in the program, because he was sharing a third of someone else's booth. I can call someone at the show today and try to get that for you.

Greg

Many more National photos at: www.baseballbasement.com

GaryPassamonte
08-08-2010, 04:14 PM
I bought the 19th century composite statue. I couldn't resist. It attracted quite a bit of attention in the hotel lobby when I brought it back. Quite an eye catcher.

jgmp123
08-08-2010, 07:55 PM
I am new here and was wondering if you happened to see the Collect.com booth at the National... As bad as I hate to part with it, an item of mine is in there current auction. We just found out we are having our second child so I decided to list an American Legion World Series ball from Fargo, ND signed by Roger Maris, Ronald Reagan, Bowie Kuhn, Bobby Richardson, and Bill "Moose" Skowren... Did you happen to see it on display? I thank you all for your great knowledge of the sport/hobby.

joelsabi
08-10-2010, 11:34 AM

Greg

hello sayhey24,

can you give me the dealer information too. thanks joelsabi@gmail.com

bigtrain
08-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Greg - I know the Doubleday Cafe in Cooperstown has a Centennial sign but I always thought it was a reproduction. Where are the surviving signs?

sayhey24
08-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Hi Tom,

I think the sign in the Doubleday cafe may be the same one that hung in the Pepper Mill restaurant in Cooperstown for years (but I am far from sure about that).
There was also a sign sold by Hunt's Auctions about five to ten years ago.
The one I own hadn't left Cooperstown for nearly seventy years until I acquired it two years ago.

Greg