thekingofclout
07-30-2010, 06:51 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200429311728

calvindog
07-30-2010, 06:53 AM
That is pretty funny, actually.

Rob D.
07-30-2010, 06:57 AM
Two folks must have really wanted that ball card.

Tcards-Please
07-30-2010, 07:35 AM
Lot #26: 1968 Topps Plaks Checklist #2 PSA 7 NM “1 of 1; Highest Graded Copy In Existence”

So much for the "Highest Graded Copy In Existence".

It never ceases to amaze me the people that just throw money around without doing a little research. For that kind of money, he/she could have had a Strausburg RC :D

r/
Frank

Matt
07-30-2010, 07:52 AM
Lot #26: 1968 Topps Plaks Checklist #2 PSA 7 NM “1 of 1; Highest Graded Copy In Existence”

So much for the "Highest Graded Copy In Existence".

While it certainly is misleading, I believe most, if not all, auction houses use the pop report terminology relative to the TPG in question. They outline that in their T&C.

Jim VB
07-30-2010, 07:59 AM
To me, the bigger question is: How many years will Larry be on this board before he learns where to post things?

philliesphan
07-30-2010, 08:14 AM
I think PSA grades most of these as Authentic, rather than with a numerical grade. [Don't ask me why -- I just think it is that way].

So an interested player collector, with clearly too much money to burn, wanted this example for a Player Registry set, and the numerical grade trumps the A designation.

<Sigh>

barrysloate
07-30-2010, 08:17 AM
Jim- that's something I've been thinking about. This morning there was a post by a newbie (he had 2 total posts to his credit) who listed all the inventory he is bringing to the National, as well as his booth number. It didn't take long for a moderator to see it and delete it. And the other day there was a post on the main board about Topps boxing sheets.

Is it asking too much for people to follow a few basic rules around here? Couldn't Leon insist that anyone new who registers for the board has to read the rules once before he is allowed to post? Seems like a common courtesy for everyone.

Leon
07-30-2010, 08:24 AM
Jim- that's something I've been thinking about. This morning there was a post by a newbie (he had 2 total posts to his credit) who listed all the inventory he is bringing to the National, as well as his booth number. It didn't take long for a moderator to see it and delete it. And the other day there was a post on the main board about Topps boxing sheets.

Is it asking too much for people to follow a few basic rules around here? Couldn't Leon insist that anyone new who registers for the board has to read the rules once before he is allowed to post? Seems like a common courtesy for everyone.

The post by the new member listing all of his inventory on the main board got moved, not deleted, to the appropriate place. I just get tired of having to continually ask for people to do the right thing. I could be a bigger butthead (not sure how, but I could) but also think this is mainly a hobby and let some things go. Also, Larry (the poster) does get a little leeway as he is a regular, frequent poster, and can post an occasional off topic per the rules. I do wish folks would read the rules but that's a pipe dream :eek:.

Jim VB
07-30-2010, 08:25 AM

I saw that post too Barry. It wasn't deleted, but moved to the BST. In fairness however, that poster (Steve Sabow) is a well known and respected non-sports dealer, who is new to this board. Over on the non-sports board, Tom had started a thread titled "Things National Dealers are Bringing."

Some of the things Steve has are baseball sets, so I fully understand why he would post it here.

In the case of Larry, we have a member, who has been around a long time, and who does post regularly on the Postwar board. He knows it's there. He knows what it's for. Yet he ignores it.

barrysloate
07-30-2010, 08:36 AM
I just saw it got moved too. I just wish that posters were a little more considerate. There's clearly a BST section, clearly a postwar section, clearly a boxing one, etc. Spend a moment to look and see where your message belongs before posting. I'm done venting.

Rob D.
07-30-2010, 08:43 AM
It ruined my day, too, Barry.

barrysloate
07-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Always a wise guy in every crowd.

Rob D.
07-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Always a wise guy in every crowd.

Pissant is probably more accurate.

peterose4hof
07-30-2010, 08:58 AM
I was planning on bidding on that to help fill a hole in my Pete Rose collection. My top bid was going to be $2500, except by the time I logged in to look at the auction the high bid was already $11K+ with weeks left to go! Um WOW! :eek:

barrysloate
07-30-2010, 09:00 AM
You know Rob, I never heard the term "pissant" until you used it as your avatar. I learn something new every day.

Jewish-collector
07-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Remember that episode on Seinfeld where George called those baseball owners in Texas (in a good way) "Sons of ....." :D:D:D

Rob D.
07-30-2010, 09:14 AM
You know Rob, I never heard the term "pissant" until you used it as your avatar. I learn something new every day.

Must be a Texas/Ohio thing.

oldjudge
07-30-2010, 09:17 AM
This is hilarious. Whoever said that a fool and his money are soon seperated must have had this card in mind.

Barry-You seem very tense. Was The View taken off the air?

barrysloate
07-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Wasn't Obama on The View just yesterday?

oldjudge
07-30-2010, 09:25 AM
My TiVo was on the fritz and I missed it-damm!

barrysloate
07-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Alas, I also missed it. I'm sure it was compelling.

Steve_NY
07-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Sorry about posting my items that I purchased this year and are bringing to this year's national. I didn't know you couldn't do that. The moderator did not erase my listing but instead moved it to the correct Buying/Selling/Trading link.

If that is also forbidden, why didn't the moderator erase my listing completely? Please point out the rules to me and I will certainly follow them in the future. I didn't intentionally break the rules.

Steve
Booth 125P

barrysloate
07-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Steve- the main board is for discussion of pre-war baseball cards only. All selling, or other business related matters, goes into the B/S/T area under the appropriate heading. There are also sections for other sports such as basketball, football, hockey, etc., and even a water-cooler section if you want to discuss how the Yankees did last night.

The main board does digress somewhat- if there was yet another perfect game it's okay to discuss it here. But listing your inventory on the main board is frowned upon..well at least by me it is. I can't speak for the others.

Jim VB
07-30-2010, 09:38 AM
But listing your invetory...

Barry??? Is that you? :D:D:D

Steve_NY
07-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Jim -- Thanks for defending me; I just saw your post.

Only one comment: I do not think of myself as a "non-sports dealer". When someone asks me why I am still doing business in this hobby when most of my New York peers from the 70s have since disappeared, I point out that I am fully diversified. I sell all types of cards and paper memorabilia and when one item is "cool", I quickly move on to another item. I've done that for 35+ years.

I will have at least one full showcase dedicated to pre-war baseball including T205's, 206's, 210s, etc. including a T205 set for sale with one variation. Probably another full showcase dedicated to early football, hockey, and other baseball.

But I do agree that I have been focusing most of my energies on Non-sports cards and sets for the past 7-10 years or so. But, I never pass a collection that I can make money on.

Thanks again,

Steve
Booth 125P Baltimore National

Steve_NY
07-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Barry -- I am sorry for doing that and will follow the "rules" in the future. Stop by and say hello anyway. Steve

barrysloate
07-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Barry??? Is that you? :D:D:D

Hey, I was close enough. Doesn't that count?

Leon
07-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Jim -- Thanks for defending me; I just saw your post.

Only one comment: I do not think of myself as a "non-sports dealer". When someone asks me why I am still doing business in this hobby when most of my New York peers from the 70s have since disappeared, I point out that I am fully diversified. I sell all types of cards and paper memorabilia and when one item is "cool", I quickly move on to another item. I've done that for 35+ years.

I will have at least one full showcase dedicated to pre-war baseball including T205's, 206's, 210s, etc. including a T205 set for sale with one variation. Probably another full showcase dedicated to early football, hockey, and other baseball.

But I do agree that I have been focusing most of my energies on Non-sports cards and sets for the past 7-10 years or so. But, I never pass a collection that I can make money on.

Thanks again,

Steve
Booth 125P Baltimore National

Steve- Welcome to Net54baseball.com. It's not the end of the world to make a mistake on a chatboard. It's no big deal. If you need to read the rules, or know where to post your stuff for sale, there is a little icon at top that says "Net54 rules"....that is where you will find the ....rules. Also, had you looked at the top blue logo, and cared to read what this forum is all about, right next to the logo, you would have seen that there is an area devoted to buying/selling/trading. It's quite obvious. Once again, no big deal and I will be set up at the National too. I hope to meet you and say hi....best regards

ncinin
07-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Maybe SGC can reply, but the SGC 96 listed on EBAY is an old SGC flip, which I believe means it was graded when Joe Merkel was in charge.

It is my understanding that the SGC of today may not cross old SGC graded cards into their current holders in the same grade or may not grade them at all.

Based on who sold the old SGC 96, I would suspect this card will not or would in the past cross over in a high grade or at all.

sflayank
07-30-2010, 10:04 AM
sorry
can send to post war, my mistake

Peter_Spaeth
07-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Are the old SGC grades included in their pop report, even though they apparently don't stand behind those grades (for good reason, given many cards I have seen where the centering was just not consistent with the grade)?

Peter_Spaeth
07-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Maybe SGC can reply, but the SGC 96 listed on EBAY is an old SGC flip, which I believe means it was graded when Joe Merkel was in charge.

It is my understanding that the SGC of today may not cross old SGC graded cards into their current holders in the same grade or may not grade them at all.

Based on who sold the old SGC 96, I would suspect this card will not or would in the past cross over in a high grade or at all.

I sure hope there aren't any problems with triplesss' 5191 other cards currently on ebay...

tbob
07-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Wow! Just saw the final selling price, over 22k?!?!?!
Geez, I can think of how many pre-war caramel cards I could buy for that. :eek:

Tcards-Please
07-30-2010, 11:50 AM
While it certainly is misleading, I believe most, if not all, auction houses use the pop report terminology relative to the TPG in question. They outline that in their T&C.

It certainly is misleading. Their T&C states ":7. Population Figures- All population figures came from the PSA Population Report online as of June 25, 2010.

So their statement that it is a 1 of 1 is accurate and I would agree falls within their guidelines as that is considered population figures. But the statement "Highest Graded Copy In Existence" isn't. Should have stated Highest Graded PSA Copy.

Here is their description of Lot #3: 1887 N172 Old Judge Ed Delahanty "Hands at Waist" Variation PSA 8 NM-MT “1 of 1; Only NM-MT 8 Residing on BOTH the PSA and SGC “Pop” Charts”!

They mention both PSA and SGC in this lot, why is that? Don't get me wrong, I have little sympathy for the buyer as he/she should have done their own research. I hope they enjoy that purchase.

calvindog
07-30-2010, 11:58 AM
I sure hope there aren't any problems with triplesss' 5191 other cards currently on ebay...

That sort of attitude will not get you an invite to any important meetings in Baltimore next week.

M's_Fan
07-30-2010, 12:06 PM

Is this really the case? And how "old" must a card be to be considered "old" ?

Peter_Spaeth
07-30-2010, 12:11 PM
That sort of attitude will not get you an invite to any important meetings in Baltimore next week.

That's OK Jeff, you can tell me what happens.

Matthew H
07-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Research??????

Did the bidders even look at the card? Forget the slip, does that card look near mint to anyone????? Crazy.

smtjoy
07-30-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm pretty sure I know who the buyer was and from what I know the SGC Plak will not crossover. The buyer wants this for his PSA master set. While I can agree the price is off the charts the collector only wants the highest graded cards and pays dearly for them. That is not the way i collect but to each his own and if they have that kind of money more power to them.

Matt
07-30-2010, 01:34 PM
For the record, the few times I have had cards in the "old" SGC slabs, they moved into the new slabs at the same grade.

Leon
07-30-2010, 01:39 PM
For the record, the few times I have had cards in the "old" SGC slabs, they moved into the new slabs at the same grade.

I know SGC will re-evaluate the old to new crossovers in their slabs. My 2 that I have done, pre-war, both crossed over from SGC92 to SGC92......I have to believe the SGC 96 would at least get a 7 or better.....which would have only saved the buyer 20k..... and is probably chump change to the buyer if they are spending that coin on that card. regards

HRBAKER
08-01-2010, 07:28 PM

This has been my experience as well.

Rich Klein
08-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Was I enjoyed reading what Steve was bringing. Yes I know that belonged in BST but I liked the idea of "highlights you are bringing to the National" Maybe we can start a sthread like that tonight

Rich

fkw
08-03-2010, 01:04 PM
So what would I rather have.....

a 1951 Bowman Bob Dillinger or a 1914 Boston Garter Tris Speaker?

even more crazy than original topic IMO, look at lots #6 and #86

PS. "High Book" in the SCD is $17.50 for Dillinger, and $30,000.00 for Speaker