PDA

View Full Version : Ball Signed by 1955 All Stars

Chondropython
07-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Hello!

I'll start by saying that I am not really into baseball memorabilia, and don't know much about it. That being said, I have a ball that was given to me by my grandfather when I was a kid that is signed by the 1955 all stars... Mickey Mantel, Duke Snider, Hank Aaron, Stan Musial, Ernie Banks, etc.

I've had this ball sitting in a ball holder in my closet for years and am wondering if there is something in particular i need to do to preserve it. I've never handled it, and aside from some yellowing it is in good condition.

Also, I have no idea what it might be worth... any guesses? Is there a place that does appraisals on this type of item? Should I have it insured?

Thanks!

Joe Hunter
07-29-2010, 04:49 PM
In terms of preservation, I would do nothing to the ball other than keep it out of direct light. The closet seems a good location if you do not wish to display it. The value is really hard to determine without actually seeing the ball. Factors such the clarity of the signatures, type of ball (official or unofficial), yellowing and overall condition of the ball, number of signatures, and presence or absence of key players will determine the amount of money someone would be willing to spend for this ball. Of course, the most important factor is the authenticity of the signatures. There are several reputable companies that will determine that for a fee. A scan of the ball from several different positions would give members of this board a much better idea about its authenticity and value. I would guess that a vintage '55 All-Star ball in nice shape and with most of the key signatures would be valued in the $750-$1500 range.

GoldenAge50s
07-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Yes, just post a couple of nice pics--Would love to see it!