PDA

View Full Version : Another Wagner T206 is unearthed...

baseball tourist
07-29-2010, 10:49 AM
http://www.suffolknewsherald.com/news/2010/jul/27/secret-stash-hides-rare-find/

B O'Brien
07-29-2010, 10:55 AM
That is super cool! Has anyone from the old days ever seen this Wags before?
Thanks for posting,
Bob

Ladder7
07-29-2010, 11:10 AM
I say fake! Looks grainy and aged, in this poor photo.

tbob
07-29-2010, 11:12 AM
I will be interested to see if this card grades authentic by either SGC or PSA. :rolleyes:

Matthew H
07-29-2010, 11:23 AM
I wish they would have described the "dozen" e107's better.

quinnsryche
07-29-2010, 11:25 AM
I've always wondered why anyone would trim the borders off such a small card to begin with. Really doen't make any sense unless they are trying to hide something. Actually makes it look more suspicious to me. My guess - fake.

FrankWakefield
07-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Unless I see better images that change my thinking, then that's an authentic card. Lots of T206s were trimmed in that fashion, years ago. I believe you guys will find that it is the real deal.

canjond
07-29-2010, 11:45 AM
I've always wondered why anyone would trim the borders off such a small card to begin with. Really doen't make any sense unless they are trying to hide something. Actually makes it look more suspicious to me. My guess - fake.

From the article, it seemed that SGC had seen the card and determined it was genuine.

barrysloate
07-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Fake.

slidekellyslide
07-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Why is everyone saying "Fake?" SGC has already seen the card according to the article.

bigtrain
07-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Not a very good picture but it looks to be trimmed well beyond the border. There is usually space between the border and the G in Pittsburg.

barrysloate
07-29-2010, 12:41 PM
I've just been told from a reliable source that the card is genuine, has been encapsulated "Authentic" by SGC, and has been consigned to a major auction. The reason it looks so odd, besides the trim, is that it has been shellacked.

baseball tourist
07-29-2010, 12:48 PM
I've just been told from a reliable source that the card is genuine, has been encapsulated "Authentic" by SGC, and has been consigned to a major auction. The reason it looks so odd, besides the trim, is that it has been shellacked.

Other than the shellacking update, the other items are mentioned in the story itself..

"Horton made one trip to the estate in Pennsylvania and then enlisted Ciccone to come on a second trip. Next came a trip to Sportscard Guaranty in New Jersey."

"The cards are to be auctioned in October by Heritage Auction Galleries. It’ll be a worldwide, live, online auction"

Rob D.
07-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Very smart move placing the auction on the worldwide section of the Internet.

fkw
07-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Its in a SGC-A slab right now.

Zan over at FCB Board saw it in person last week and took a pic

http://freedomcardboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=98603

Leon
07-29-2010, 01:14 PM

Yes, these guys already have their phone lines reserved to bid. They can't wait. Had this not been posted worldwide these guys might have missed out on filling that hole in their nose.....uh, I mean collection.

FUBAR
07-29-2010, 01:15 PM
did none of you ever trim a card when you were a kid??? i used to cut the players out....... im sure others have... someone trimming the white off could be simply to fit more cards into an album.

Remember guys, no one cares about trimming except collectors...

I say congrats to the nuns and i know they will use the money wisely.

It cool how they were hidden in a wall.... crazy they hid stuff, and i am sure there are alot more hidden safes that no one knows about.

petecld
07-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Just to confirm what has been posted already, I am happy to report the T206 Wagner is in fact real. It has been slabbed by SGC as “Authentic.” It comes from a collection of almost 200 cards including a dozen E107s, T205s, more T206s, E93s, E95s and M116s. All of the cards have had borders removed but almost every vintage card is a Hall of Famer. Multiple appearances by Cy Young (he is one of the E107s), M. Brown, Cobb, Mathewson, Wagner, Lajoie, Tinker, Evers and Chance plus many others.

The Wagner will be on display at the Heritage booth at the National and will be up for auction in our November Signature Sale.

Kawika
07-29-2010, 01:41 PM
That way they'll be able to communicate directly with the world's posting mechanism.

quinnsryche
07-29-2010, 02:02 PM
I'll probably get skewered for this comment but, I think it looks awful and I wouldn't want it. For what some yahoo is going to overpay for it I would rather have a handful of rarer, better conditioned cards than that piece of crap. It's not even a whole card! An over-hyped and over-priced card to begin with, this one doesn't help matters any. Keep it!

glchen
07-29-2010, 02:17 PM
I'd probably increase my personal salary cap for a single card (and my overall cap figure) to $10K if this card were available at that price. :) It's a cornerstone card in the hobby, and you can still see Wagner's portrait in good detail. Probably a poor reflection of my collection, but I have cards that are in worse condition with big chunks missing from them.

Bilko G
07-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Im a moderator on another Sports card site and one of our members was actually at SGC when the owner picked it up after getting it slabbed authentic.

Edit- Quick on the post, i see Frank (FKW) already posted about this

He took a picture of it with his camera phone.....

http://i29.tinypic.com/2jfvjd.jpg

Rob D.
07-29-2010, 02:22 PM
In my opinion, one of the more appealing features of the white-border cards is their white borders.

rholmes
07-29-2010, 02:22 PM
I'll probably get skewered for this comment but, I think it looks awful and I wouldn't want it. For what some yahoo is going to overpay for it I would rather have a handful of rarer, better conditioned cards than that piece of crap. It's not even a whole card! An over-hyped and over-priced card to begin with, this one doesn't help matters any. Keep it!

You're not alone, as these are pretty much my sentiments as well.

Maybe the nuns should seek divine intervention? Surely a few miraculously restored borders are not beyond the range of the possible for those of the faith. :)

DixieBaseball
07-29-2010, 07:37 PM
What's up with Hans giving us the Stink Eye in the article ? Is it me, or does his left eye look like he had a eye lift ? Hmmmm... :D

Pup6913
07-29-2010, 07:56 PM

+1

tbob
07-29-2010, 08:07 PM
If the guy who did the restoration work on the Darby chocolate boxes and turned them from less than authentic to exmt looking could be given the right amount of money to rebuild the borders and get rid of the creases, you could have a card that would sell for a bundle if you don't mind a restored card.

sago
07-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Why all the hate? A nun finds some cards, so called "experts" weigh in on both sides from a picture, and then find more reasons to disparage it once it's authenticated. Who cares if you want it or not? What else wouldn't you like; the floor is yours.

Why not just be happy for the person who found it; a nun no less?

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion; just don't act like the other thing everyone has because a card was trimmed.

David Davis

Matthew H
07-30-2010, 12:00 AM
What do you guys think? 100k?

sbfinley
07-30-2010, 01:03 AM

I won't burn you, it's not in my nature, but I disagree. The card may be over-hyped, but for better or worse the hobby we love love created that hype. Are there other cards that could carry the "rarer" or "more important" tag? Sure. But value is only created by the willingness of the consumer. For example, I would pay (funding at the time willing) the going price of a Ruth auto for a single signed Tommy Bridges ball. (Never seen one.) To 99.99% of the collecting community that would sound absurd, but I have to have one. Just like there are a good number of people that have to own a Wagner. This is another opportunity to do so and possibly purchase it at discounted price.

P.S. Question for those in the know. I have seen scans of about two dozen Wag's, none of which I can remember were trimmed in such a manner. There are members of this board that have seen or know of the ones that never see the light of day. Is there another one with matching detail or is this one the only known without frame.

bbcard1
07-30-2010, 08:16 AM
I would think someone would pay $100K, but it will probably go closer to $250K because I always guess way low on these things. It won't be me.