PDA

View Full Version : More Stolen Cards READ ASAP UPDATED

JamesGallo
07-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Well I hate to say this but 2 punk kids that were working for my contractor stole a pile of cards from me. They sold 12 of them to a store not to far from me and I will gladly get those back at some point.

So anyone in the Philly area if you have purchased some SGC graded pre war stuff or some modern philles graded stuff please let me know.

At this point I don't know what was taken as it was a box that had a mixture of stuff in it.

What I do know is he got some damn expensive cards that were one of ones and I am greatly thankful to the store owner who tracked me down. He bought them late last week so if anyone was approahed but a couple 17 year olds with the grandfather story please drop me a note.

jgallony@aol.com

Thanks

James G

FUBAR
07-27-2010, 10:29 AM
I hope you had them arrested. Id be interested to know what the contractor is going to do, they are responsible for their employees.

on the down side, they now know what type of stuff you have and might come looking for more.

barrysloate
07-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Sorry James, that's really awful. Sounds like you will at least get some of them back. The kids should get fired, then arrested.

mybuddyinc
07-27-2010, 12:38 PM
James,
If you had a decent level of proof these punks took the cards, I would like to imagine that you have some sort of case against them or the contractor they worked for.
Good luck, Scott

peterose4hof
07-27-2010, 01:01 PM
I hope you had them arrested. Id be interested to know what the contractor is going to do, they are responsible for their employees.

on the down side, they now know what type of stuff you have and might come looking for more.

They very well may try and come back for more. I would make sure everything is very securely locked up or better yet put your high-dollar stuff in a safety deposit box at the bank.

JamesGallo
07-27-2010, 06:15 PM
I think they were just looking for quick money, they sold the stuff so cheap like at 1% of value they had no clue.

Anyway if anyone hears of an 1916 W-UNC strips around please let me know. Those and a few W514 are the only things I know for sure are still MIA. I really hope they just didn't get around to selling the rest of the stuff.

James G

Leon
07-27-2010, 06:38 PM
I think they were just looking for quick money, they sold the stuff so cheap like at 1% of value they had no clue.

Anyway if anyone hears of an 1916 W-UNC strips around please let me know. Those and a few W514 are the only things I know for sure are still MIA. I really hope they just didn't get around to selling the rest of the stuff.

James G

That really sucks about the W-Uncs. I know how much you like them and how much you have into many of them. The good thing is that they are so rare hopefully we can get them back for you. regards

Yankeefan51
07-27-2010, 06:54 PM
A few years hard time will convince these two bums that the
best way to make money,,,is the old fashioned-way to earn it.

Your contractor, should, have insurance on his workers.
You might tell him that it would be in his interest to address
the issue or you will use the local press to present the story.

We do hope they catch these thieves and they are severely punished.

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List
bdorskind@dorskindgroup.com

timber63401
07-27-2010, 07:29 PM
If the store owner can pick them out of a lineup, prosecute them punks.

ChiefBenderForever
07-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Sorry to hear this James. Even if arrested if only 17 wont they get a clean slate? Hopefully contractor can get cards back. What comes around goes around these punks will cross the wrong person and get their legs broke or worse.

ethicsprof
07-27-2010, 09:45 PM
sorry to hear it, James.
wishing you all the best, ole buddy.

barry

JamesGallo
07-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Yes they will be arrested but I doubt much will happen, however they may have done this to a lot of people and perhaps some other items will be recovered as well. We will see I have about another 10-12 cards that I can say are missing, however there could be another group of 20-30 cards that I just don't know is missing yet. My stuff is in 3 locations and not as organized as it should be so tracking stuff has not been easy.

SGC has helped a lot and having the stuff listed on the registry has saved my butt.

James G

JamesGallo
07-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Guys it seems that at least some of these cards made it up to the Cooperstown show over the weekend. I am still missing about 6 cards including some W514, Boston Stores and other tough cards. If anyone has any information or recalls seeing these at the cooperstown show please let me know ASAP.

Thanks

James G

lharri3600
07-29-2010, 03:02 PM
jim,
when the slugs get popped, ask the cops for about 5 minutes alone with them, just 5!!;)

rholmes
07-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Hey James,

Do you have scans of any of the cards you can put up in this thread? If you do, I would pick out a few and check ebay, etc. for them over the next few weeks.

Ray

botn
07-29-2010, 03:17 PM
James,

Sorry to hear about the theft. Glad you have been successful in getting some/most of the stuff back. Maybe I missed it but I did not see where you listed what exactly was stolen. Would be helpful to know what specifically you are still missing so we can help.

Greg

JamesGallo
07-29-2010, 03:25 PM
James,

Sorry to hear about the theft. Glad you have been successful in getting some/most of the stuff back. Maybe I missed it but I did not see where you listed what exactly was stolen. Would be helpful to know what specifically you are still missing so we can help.

Greg

Greg,

Needless to say it gets a little tricky with having to prove the cards are mine, so as I stated about

W514
Boston Store
and a few other odd issues.

I have certs on them all and they were all in SGC holders so it won't be hard to prove they were mine once they are found.

At this point the highest price stuff has been located and some of it has been recovered already. It's an ongoing investigation so there is only so much I can let out.

Thanks

M's_Fan
07-29-2010, 03:32 PM
I kind of sympathize with the contractor, he's probably only insured up to a certain amount, and insurance policies don't often cover criminal conduct of employees. Think about it, you own a small business and an employee does something illegal, and you have to pay for it? What if the punk stole a wagner and flushed it? You, the honest business owner that gave a kid a job now you owe a million bucks even though you did nothing wrong? I just think the punk kid should get fired and prosecuted, end of story. But what do I know.

Steve D
07-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Instances like this serve to reinforce my belief in the following:

All of us who have graded cards, should immediately update each and every card in the respective company's set registry, whether or not we are working on any particular set containing the card(s).

That way, any cards that are not recovered will be flagged, and when/if whoever buys the card tries to update it in their set registry, they will get a flag that the card is already registered in someone else's (your) set. They will then contact you for assistance. Then, it's a simple matter of contacting that person or the proper authorities about the card being stolen property. This of course only works if the thief/thieves don't crack out the card(s), and the buyer tries to update the card in the registry, but it is a very simple step to take.

Also, if you can, it wouldn't hurt to scan/upload a photo of each card into the registry. That way, you have a ready photo of the card in case it's needed. At the minimum, I'd suggest all high-value cards have photos uploaded to the registry.

Edited to add:

I just saw James' comment that his cards are listed on the SGC registry, and that it has "saved his butt". Further proof that we ALL need to do this. It could save some of us from some serious head/heartaches!

Steve

JamesGallo
07-29-2010, 06:40 PM

All of us who have graded cards, should immediately update each and every card in the respective company's set registry, whether or not we are working on any particular set containing the card(s).

That way, any cards that are not recovered will be flagged, and when/if whoever buys the card tries to update it in their set registry, they will get a flag that the card is already registered in someone else's (your) set. They will then contact you for assistance. Then, it's a simple matter of contacting that person or the proper authorities about the card being stolen property. This of course only works if the thief/thieves don't crack out the card(s), and the buyer tries to update the card in the registry, but it is a very simple step to take.

Also, if you can, it wouldn't hurt to scan/upload a photo of each card into the registry. That way, you have a ready photo of the card in case it's needed. At the minimum, I'd suggest all high-value cards have photos uploaded to the registry.

Edited to add:

I just saw James' comment that his cards are listed on the SGC registry, and that it has "saved his butt". Further proof that we ALL need to do this. It could save some of us from some serious head/heartaches!

Steve

Yes having the cards in the registry proved ownership and allowed them to be tracked. Brian from SGC dropped a bomb on me tonight and I have a lead on what I think are the remining missing cards. Fingers crossed but I owe Brian amoung others a big thanks.

James G

M's_Fan
07-30-2010, 08:21 AM

That way, any cards that are not recovered will be flagged, and when/if whoever buys the card tries to update it in their set registry, they will get a flag that the card is already registered in someone else's (your) set. They will then contact you for assistance. Then, it's a simple matter of contacting that person or the proper authorities about the card being stolen property.
Steve

Great advice, and with SGC's Registry, you can set up a customized set in the "Way I Collect" section of the registry, so even if you aren't working on a company set, you can assemble a collection of cards for insurance purposes in just one spot. I definitely need to do this with some of my cards that don't fit into any of my projects.

JamesGallo
07-30-2010, 10:38 AM
So the lead panned out and it looks like all the missing cards except one I will get back. One card was sold at the Cooperstown show it was a 1923 German Stamp of Ray Schalk in a SGC 10 holder. All the rest of my graded cards that I am aware of are being returned. Trying to figure out what raw stuff may have been taken will be almost impossible. All it all things seem to be working out ok.

My advice to people is to do a lot of the foot work yourself. I informed a few people and as word spread the cards were found. Again Brian from SGC was a massive help with all this and basically without him I would have been out half the cards.

Ironically they turned up at that little Cooperstown show over the weeked, so stuff can move fast...

James G

Bilko G
07-30-2010, 02:51 PM
Glad to hear that most of your cards are gonna eventually end back up in your collection. Now lets just hope these scum bags get whats coming to them.:mad: