PDA

View Full Version : Way OT: Would you pay to see this team?

Brian Van Horn
07-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Let me first clarify I am sober as I am creating this post.

Of sound mind? Hmmm.

What if comedy and baseball were put into a team? (Remember I have been watching the Pirates for a long time.)

My team:

Pitcher: Stan Laurel
Catcher: Oliver Hardy
Infield: The Marx Brothers
Outfield: The Three Stooges (Spread Out!)
Manager: Bud Abbott
1st base coach: Lou Costello
3rd base coach: Dean Martin
Pitching coach: Jerry Lewis
Bullpen coach: Foster Brooks
Bench coach: Red Skelton
Batting coach: Shemp Howard
General manager: Gummo Marx
Marketing directors: Jackie Gleason and Art Carney
Contract Negotiator: Jack Benny
Chief financial offer and Public Relations Director: Zero Mostel
Chief of Security: Peter Sellers
Special Advisors to the Owner (based on real life experience): Bob Hope and Bing Crosby
Owner: W.C. Fields
President of the League: Harvey Korman with special assistant Tim Conway
Commissioner: Mel Brooks

Mascots?! We don't need no stinking mascots! Still, official fan entertainment would consist of Max Patkin, Al Schacht and Nick Altrock.

I have to admit this post was partially inspired by another post by Rob D. and with a comment in the post by Barry.

FUBAR
07-26-2010, 11:42 PM
so the Harlem Globetrotters of baseball....

Could be entertaining

barrysloate
07-27-2010, 04:22 AM
Can anyone on that team hit?

My favorite of the group: W. C. Fields

Bill Stone
07-27-2010, 05:34 AM
I would add George Costanza as the Assistant to the Traveling Secretary and Fred Mertz as the team Accountant ( he is said to have written into his contract with the I Love Lucy show that he did not have to work during the World Series if the Yankees were playing).

Oldtix
07-27-2010, 06:50 AM
Actually, it really happened! This 1939 souvenir program from a charity game contains many photos and facsimile autographs. Comedians on the team included Buster Keaton; Groucho, Chico & Harpo Marx; the Ritz Brothers; Joe E. Brown; Laurel and Hardy; Eddie Cantor; Charley Chase; George Burns; Harold LLoyd; Joe Penner; Mae West; Edgar Kennedy; Andy Devine; and Jack Benny. It seems they were doing the same thing for football, too...

http://s915.photobucket.com/albums/ac351/oldtix/Baseball%20Memorabilia/001-1.jpghttp://s915.photobucket.com/albums/ac351/oldtix/Baseball%20Memorabilia/002.jpg

D. Broughman
07-27-2010, 07:55 AM
Stars and Comedians have been doing benefits for years but I like your lineup best.

TipTopBread
07-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Brian,
Your post is cute! However your reference to the Pirates was unnecessary! With your knowledge of the game your posts have always been informative. However, I guess some fun is fun. I would like to read your long term outlook for the Bucs and any encouraging comments, predictions etc. Your views have always been enlightening.

alanu
07-27-2010, 09:34 AM
I'd have to include Max Patkin as maybe one of the base coaches or the bench coach.

Anthony S.
07-27-2010, 09:37 AM
No Buster Keaton??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrISYAXwF7c

(note: the movie scene starts at about the 1:30 mark. The joke that starts building around the 2:10 mark has a great payoff at the 2:45 mark)

Brian Van Horn
07-27-2010, 10:51 AM
TipTopBread,

The only long term prediction/hope I have is that Nutting will sell the team.

On another subject that was mentioned, I thought of Buster Keaton, but I couldn't figure out a spot for him. I also considered Edgar Buchanan along with the Keystone Kops as the patrol officers at the game, Ben Turpin as the umpire and James Finlayson as a frustrated VIP/fan.

teetwoohsix
07-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Cool thread Brian !! Great choice of marketing directors :D

Thanks- Clayton

Edit to add- I forgot the initial question- yes, I'd for sure pay to see this team :D

dstudeba
07-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Most definitely, it would make baseball entertaining.

Brian Van Horn
07-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Thank You for all the responses and the posters concerning past celebrity games.