PDA

View Full Version : Spalding & Reach Guide Release Dates

DixieBaseball
07-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Is there any widely accepted release dates of these 2 guides ? For example, I notice that some team pics have different players on them from the same year each was released. I was wondering if maybe Reach and Spalding were released at beginning and ends of each year, thus creating the different team pics we see for certain teams. Has anyone studied the release dates of these 2 guides ? Thanks for any info -

barrysloate
07-26-2010, 03:18 PM
The Spalding Guides read "March" plus the date on the front covers- I just pulled out my 1914 as an example and it is dated March, 1914- so they were released before the season started. I wasn't aware of a revised printing during or after the season.

DixieBaseball
07-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Barry - Thanks - I have very few with covers, and March seems to be consistent with Spalding, but was wondering about Reach as well. It seem odd to me some of my photo's in each guide from same years have 2-3 players different in them. I guess Reach came out at a different time frame. perhaps, April or May ??

FrankWakefield
07-26-2010, 04:09 PM
I think Spalding's Guides were released at the first of the calendar year, and the Records came out just after the season was over... That's my impression. I think the Reach books came out at the first of the calendar year, too. Kinda like when we start seeing the Spring Training stuff... so a March cover date on the Guide sounds consistent with that, I'll bet they could be found toward the end of February.