PDA

View Full Version : Photo ID--Are these the same fellow?

GoldenAge50s
07-26-2010, 01:59 PM
My cousin pitched for the 1934 Phil A's after being signed off the Duke campus by Connie Mack. I have several postcards & a couple of index cards auto'd by him.

The 1st 2 pics are mine, the 3rd is purported to be him by an EBay listing.

Are all 3 the same Mort Flohr or not??

HRBAKER
07-26-2010, 02:28 PM
I don't see it, the ears are very different on the player on the bottom to me.

barrysloate
07-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Tough call. I see some similarities but it's not a slam dunk.

Jaybird
07-26-2010, 03:33 PM
The two top photos are obviously the same guy. The bottom one, not so much.

The chin on the guy in the bottom looks way different than the two top photos. See the upside down half-moon?

I say no.

GoldenAge50s
07-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.

What gets me going is that I DO see similarities in the shape & thickness of the eyebrows, the size & shape of the nose, the form & length of lips and even see ear shape as being similar!

I have been reading all the posts thruout the yr of IDing people by ears, etc (as Mr B Marlowe does) and I still can't decide one way or the other on this one!

I really hope more folks can offer an opinion because I want to bid on the postcard if anyone thinks it is him---I have never seen that 3rd pose attributed to him before and as long as I've been looking for my cousin's picture I have only seen the 2 I have.

HRBAKER
07-26-2010, 04:21 PM
I am glad I don't do this for a living bc they don't even resemble each other much to me.

Forever Young
07-26-2010, 04:25 PM
For what it is worth, I think it looks exactly like him with a much different expression. The eyes, eyebrows, nose and rounded upper chin look identical to me. That left ear bothers me but could definitely just be the angle.

HRBAKER
07-26-2010, 04:29 PM
The eyes look like two different people to me, and the ear shapes for that matter.

Butch7999
07-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Minority opinion so far, but us, we'd put 2 to 1 that they're all Mort. Bothersome feature isn't so much the ear but the left eyebrow. What we're actually more certain of is that the guy in the first pic is wearing the exact same cap with the exact same peculiar bend in the peak (right side curled down, rest of the peak uncurled) as the guy in the third (eBay) pic...

GoldenAge50s
07-26-2010, 06:05 PM
After some back & forth EM's w/ the Seller, who, by the way, has a large selection of Burke/Brace cards & photos, he has sent me this message:

As usual, it turns out that if I had just looked a little harder, I could have found a definite answer. It's Randy Gumpert, not Flohr. I found a scan of the same postcard that I had previously which had his name written on the back

His EBay ID is thecatspajamas99 & was very upfront & helpful!

Gumpert pitched for the A's in 1936-37-38---Mort was there just in 1934 and never saw ML action again. Gumpert's other claim to fame is that he gave up Mickey Mantle's 1st HR in 1951!

I'm almost sorry now that it ISN'T cousin Mort, as I would have bid on a pose that I previously didn't know existed!

Forever Young
07-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Never trust my own opinion.

GoldenAge50s
07-26-2010, 06:16 PM
LMAO at your remark! :D

For what it's worth, I saw those same similarities you did, but I didn't think it was Mort--I think I WANTED it to be him, tho!!

Forever Young
07-26-2010, 06:20 PM
I think I wanted it to be him fo ryou too Fred. :)
LMAO at your remark! :D

For what it's worth, I saw those same similarities you did, but I didn't think it was Mort--I think I WANTED it to be him, tho!!

HRBAKER
07-26-2010, 07:16 PM
I kept trying to figure out who that 3rd photo was. I thought I had some recognition of him but was completely drawing a blank. Back in the 80/90s I used to order these PCs by the dozen from Geo and Mary Brace and send them off for autos. Once you said Gumpert, yep went to the binder and there he was right in the Gs.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s172/hrbaker/AUTOS/gump.jpg

GoldenAge50s
07-26-2010, 07:32 PM
--not so sure yours is Gumpert--the teeth look different to me!:p:D

HRBAKER
07-26-2010, 08:00 PM
--not so sure yours is Gumpert--the teeth look different to me!:p:D

....they look "different" all right.....................

Butch7999
07-27-2010, 01:45 AM
"Note to self: Never trust my own opinion."

+1

At least now we know why Gumpert wasn't smiling in the third photo...