PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever seen a 57 Topps reprint?

Buythatcard
07-24-2010, 08:47 AM
I have come across many cards from this set and they all looked like the real deal to me. Until today. I came across a Mantle card that just did not look right. Usually the back of a 57 has the flat look. But the back of this card actually has a slight glossy look.
I have never seen a 57 reprint and I am hoping someone out there can shed some light on this card. I included the scan but I am not sure whether that will be enough to determine if its a reprint or not.

I did not buy this card. I was planning on selling it for someone else.

Any help would be appreciated.

Doug
07-24-2010, 09:07 AM
Here's a reprint on eBay for comparison: http://cgi.ebay.com/1957-TOPPS-YANKEES-MICKEY-MANTLE-CARD-95-REPRINT-/310235790859 , but it could be a counterfeit too. I think I've seen fake Mantles from every year at one time or another.

canjond
07-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Card looks fake IMO. The corners especially appear to be intentionally rounded.

Leon
07-24-2010, 10:28 AM
I think if you put that card under some magnification you will see a dot pattern in the white borders....and except for 1 very rare series (I found out about yesterday), I have never heard of a real card having dots go all the way through the white borders. Regardless of that it doesn't look quite right. It will certainly behoove whomever is going to sell it to do some more research on it before doing so (as you are doing). regards

Matthew H
07-24-2010, 11:12 AM
The borders are too large imo.

Also if you look closely in his uniform, you will see spider-webbing brown stains typical of counterfeits. I assume that's from rubbing the card in coffee or something.

BTW: There is always at least one 1957 Topps Mickey Mantle reprints on eBay at any given time. They almost always have those over-sized borders

iggyman
07-24-2010, 11:27 AM
I concur with everything that has been said. Card is 99.9% definitely a reprint (can't place it at 100% without the card in-hand). Borders too big, color not right and the four almost symmetrical rounded corners all scream REPRO.

Lovely Day...

Buythatcard
07-24-2010, 11:33 AM
My suspicions are confirmed. I will return this card to the owner and tell him the bad news. He can always place this card in the spokes of bike tire. Not worth taking the chance of selling this one.
He sent me 2 others that seem to be the real deal. So 2 out of 3 aint so bad.

Thanks to all for their help.

drc
07-24-2010, 01:06 PM
The reprints made by Topps are very glossy front to back and have distinctly different tone/colors on back. Plus they will clearly identify it as a reprint.