PDA

View Full Version : Possible Red Sun Tobacco Tab

Pup6913
07-22-2010, 08:16 PM
I found this tobacco pin/tab in and antique shop. The design is what really caught my attention. Any idea if this is a Red sun pin. I found a Drum one several months back and from what I gather it is the only out there(I hope:))

Any info on this would be awesome.

DixieBaseball
07-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Andrew - The time period is interesting (100 years old). A quick internet search yielded this info about your piece and also another picture that is a bit cleaner... Perhaps this piece is not Red Sun, but maybe this tobacco company is affiliated or the genesis of the Red Sun Tobacco packs. (A place to start snooping)

1900s Sun Cured Lithograph Tin Tobacco Tag Antique Metal Collectible, F.M. Bohannon's Winston North Carolina, Sunrise, Sunset, red yellow blackDescription
Here we have an awesome lithographed Sun Cured brand tin tobacco tag manufactured by F.M. Bohannan's of Winston Salem, North Carolina. It shows a bit of wear after 100 years, but that makes it even more appealing!

Tobacco manufacturers made thousands of different kinds of these tags around the turn of the century to brand their products. They went into plugs of pressed chewing tobacco and they were traded for premiums, much like S&H green stamps in the 1950s. These are highly collectible and fun to use for little shrines or for pendant making!Dimensions: about 1-1/4" in diameter

canjond
07-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Not Red Sun unfortunately. Red Sun was a cigarette brand, not a loose tobacco brand, hence no tobacco tag. A period Red Sun cigarette pack has yet to be discovered. However, in the 1970s, L&M issued "anniversary" packs based on originally graphics - Red Sun being one of the brands. So, we know exactly what a pack would look like, but an original has yet to be discovered.

Pup6913
07-23-2010, 06:37 AM
Thanks guys. what a shame it wasnt:(

DixieBaseball
07-23-2010, 07:33 AM
John - If L&M produced a reproduction in the 70's, then they have to have either a picture, description, or even an original pack to reproduce it, right ? I am just thinking out loud here (Dangerous), it would be interesting to find out who/what dept. - (Corp Marketing group at LM) made the reproduction since it was only 40 years ago, they may still be alive or even recall, and if so, they may have details that could open the Red Sun Mystery up a bit more. Do we know where Red Sun was sold ? Besides New Orleans, was it marketed, sold anywhere else outside of Louisana ? Interesting that Red Sun players coincide with certain T210-8's, but not the rest of them. (Think Chattanooga Series 8, among other series 8 players) Note to self : Retirement Project - Criss-Cross Louisana countryside in search of Red Sun Pack, etc. ;)

canjond
07-23-2010, 09:44 AM
Jeremy - good question and I'm not sure of the answers. Below is the remake of the Red Sun pack. It is the only one pictured on my website as well:

http://baseballandtobacco.com/images/t211.gif

I'm unsure how L&M obtained the graphics to reproduce the pack, but I was told by many cigarette pack collectors that the graphics on the reproduced packs are the same as the originals. I have also seen a reproduced American Beauty pack, and that was spot on with the original graphics, too.

autograf
07-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Probably from file copies of the graphics or something, I'd imagine........