PDA

View Full Version : 1954 Dan Dee question

frankhardy
07-17-2010, 04:03 PM
I have a couple of 1954 Dan Dee cards that are very nice. The only problem is with the waxy surface. The waxy surface is lightly scratched, but not enough to go into the cardboard part of the card. I would like to know your thoughts on lightly rubbing the wax with panty hose to get the scratches out.

Also, what if the wax had totally come off of the card and it was down to the cardboard but is otherwise very nice - would a grading company count off for the lack of wax?

For those that have never handled a 1954 Dan Dee, it is almost like handling a 1980's wax pack on the surface, except it is a card.

Leon
07-18-2010, 07:51 AM
What about trying to rub the panty hose on a very small corner portion, where there is some scratching, to try it and see what happens? I have only handled but a few of these cards but understand what you are saying. As far as a grading company counting off for the loss of the waxy surface substance, I think they should as it's part of the normal surface and would lean that way in my thinking. Of course there is the distinct possibility that whoever is grading the card won't know the difference and therefore not count off for it. Sorry I can't help more...maybe one of our esteemed post war collectors can lend better/more advice.. regards

mintacular
07-19-2010, 11:25 AM
I'd be very very careful as you might cause scratches on surface getting the wax out, that has happened to me before