PDA

View Full Version : How do You Keep Track of Your Collection?

mab
07-16-2010, 06:35 PM
What do you use to inventory what you have, need, etc? I've always struggled with finding best (and easiest) method, from notebooks, to spreadsheets, to a simple database for keeping track. Would be interested in what you have found works well for you...

jb217676
07-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Click on my link and you can see how I keep my cards organized!

HRBAKER
07-16-2010, 07:17 PM
I basically keep mine in an Access database that is sortable by: Year, Set, Player, Price paid, seller, graded or non-graded, etc. I log them in as soon as I receive them and when I trade or sell (rare) I move them to another database.

Jeff,

Nince job with your site. ;)

bcbgcbrcb
07-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Simple excel spreadsheet for me

Doug
07-16-2010, 08:24 PM
I guess it depends on the type of collection you have. If you are working on a set (or sets) and they are graded PSA and SGC have the registries that you can use to keep track of your progress. If they aren't graded, I'm sure a simple spreadsheet would work.

Robextend
07-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Pretty much same as Jeff, I keep everything on my ImageEvent site and graded card registries.

Rob

jb217676
07-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Pretty much same as Jeff, I keep everything on my ImageEvent site and graded card registries.

Rob

I knew my fellow imageevent user would show up sometime on this thread!

mab
07-17-2010, 05:54 AM
The image Event site seems very cool for a small collection, or your most impressive cards. I am just coming back to the hobby in earnest, and like to collect some sets as well as individual cards. In addition, I sometimes buy things in anticipation of using them in trade down the road. As a result, I tend to accumulate more than I would want to add to Image Event.

steve B
07-17-2010, 06:16 AM
In the past I used a bunch of different written methods. Notebooks, 3x5 cards, 3x5 cards punched for a tiny binder, sheets of paper with the list of numbers I needed folded in the box. All of those had big problems, Mainly access when I needed it, plus I would often lose the list and have to start over.

Now I'm putting them into excel spreadsheets, just a simple grid, numbered along the side and top, like a big checklist. Cards I have are checked off with a lowercase h if it's vg or less, uppercase if it's in decent condition. Graded ones I put the number in the box. T206s I've switched to the superset list with the colors removed in the field. It's much nicer than the one I made.

I haven't quite figured out how to handle variations yet. Especially on certain modern sets where there are hundreds. (And I suspect I'm the only one looking for some of them.)

Steve B

Exhibitman
07-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Simple excel spreadsheet for me

+1, though not so simple as there is lots of info to be input for each card.

smtjoy
07-19-2010, 02:26 PM
90% of my collection is graded so VCP my collection works great and gives me up to date prices on all my groups and sets.