PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this 1952 Topps Discoloration?

BIN at VCP
07-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Picked this up recently, noticing the discoloration in the lower right corner and deciding to purchase anyway. When the card arrived, I saw that there are also hairline cracks in the holder very near the discoloration, almost like a compression fracture in glass. Running my finger across the cracks I can't feel them at all. I doubt it occurred in shipping, as the card was protected very well. 1) Could the card have gotten a PSA 7 with the discoloration? 2) Relatedly, do you think the discoloration occurred after the card was holdered as a result of the cracks? 3) Given that a refund is available (me being responsible for shipping costs), would you do it?

Bear in mind that I got it substantially below VCP Average and the spot on the hat is a scan defect, not a card defect. Thoughts?

Edit: My apologies to the mods for posting in the wrong forum.

Doug
07-15-2010, 04:46 PM
1) Could the card have gotten a PSA 7 with the discoloration? 2) Relatedly, do you think the discoloration occurred after the card was holdered as a result of the cracks? 3) Given that a refund is available (me being responsible for shipping costs), would you do it?

Personally, I don't see how the card got a PSA 7 with that discoloration. If the holder is cracked I suppose moisture of some kind could have gotten in, but I couldn't say for sure. As far as the refund part goes, it pretty much depends on if you are satisfied with the card or not. If you think you got a good deal on it and the discoloration doesn't bother you, keep it. If not, you can always take the refund and buy a different card. Hope that helps.

Leon
07-15-2010, 05:32 PM
No worries on the wrong forum.

I agree with what Doug said :).

cozmokramer
07-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Personally, I don't see how the card got a PSA 7 with that discoloration. If the holder is cracked I suppose moisture of some kind could have gotten in, but I couldn't say for sure. As far as the refund part goes, it pretty much depends on if you are satisfied with the card or not. If you think you got a good deal on it and the discoloration doesn't bother you, keep it. If not, you can always take the refund and buy a different card. Hope that helps.

The holder does NOT have to be cracked to let moisture in. PSA cases and SGC cases are not water tight.