PDA

View Full Version : Poster-Baseball Centennial

mjohnson118
07-15-2010, 10:52 AM
This is my first post to the site so I hope that I am following the rules and placing it in the correct forum.
I recently came across this Baseball Centennial lithographed poster commemorating 100 years of baseball. The image of Uncle Sam appears to be that of a James Montgomery Flagg, but I do not see his signature anywhere on the piece. It has been cleanly cut down the center which allowed it to fold in half and taped on the backside to hold the two halves together to facilitate use as a backer for a picture frame. It also has a couple of small tears. My dilema is this; I would like to have it restored and framed, but the cost is roughly $275. If the poster has no real monetary value I would likely not have it restored. Can someone tell me if James Montgomery Flagg was commissioned to produce the art and what the value is of this fine poster.

baseballart
07-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Others with knowledge in this area can confirm whether it's period, but assuming it's vintage to 1939: wow.

Max

GKreindler
07-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Now that's a great first post!!!

I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but I don't think the lithograph is Flagg's work. He was a bit looser and juicier with his color, sometimes even having the sensibilities of a great watercolorist. I could be totally wrong, of course.

Regarding the value, I'm sure someone can chime in....

Graig

baseballart
07-15-2010, 11:42 AM
One other point: if the framing and restoration cost is only $275, the price is likely low. From the restoration work I have had done, something like this would be $275 (or up) for the restoration work alone, assuming you wish professional quality restoration.

Max

drc
07-15-2010, 12:29 PM
I've never seen that poster before. It's great. Even looks nice in its current state.

If the poster is vintage and large (you don't mention dimensions) I wouldn't be surprised to to see it sell for five figures. It has eye appeal. Which well-heeled baseball collector wouldn't want that on the wall of their hobby room?

Tigerden
07-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Wow, a stunning Baseball Centennial poster, extremely rare and would be well worth the $275 restoration cost. Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing. I have never seen this poster before but items commemorating the Baseball Centennial are highly sought after. If the poster is from the period, and I beleive that to be the case, than this would be a welcome addition to any collection. I hope you have it restored and post the end result.

smokelessjoe
07-15-2010, 01:16 PM
Here it is on a cover of the 1939 World Series program...

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2005/769.html

cubsguy1969
07-15-2010, 03:04 PM
That is an awesome poster. Thanks for sharing.
Rob

mjohnson118
07-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks to everyone for your comments, suggestions and words of wisdom! I have no doubt that the poster is vintage simply by the way it was aquired. As mentioned, it was part of an estate where the original owner, who was elderly, used it as a backer for picture. Everything was sold as a lot and the poster was found only after taking apart the picture. I'm not so naive as to think good fakes and forgeries don't exist, but in this case it is highly doubtful.
As was pointed out, I failed to mention the overall size...roughly 14"x22". Can someone point me into a reputable appraiser of such items and/or a reputable auctioneer that specializes in baseball memorabilia? That may help me decide to either sell as is or restore and sell. In the meantime, it's going into a safe deposit box!

I'll post updates as they occur.

drc: When you mentioned 5 figures, I hope that meant a comma with no decimal points. Ha!

barrysloate
07-15-2010, 04:17 PM
That's a really neat poster but I don't think it would sell for anywhere near five figures.

I would recommend you get it restored. It appears to be very heavily creased across the middle, almost cracked, so I think it would surely pay off for you to have it repaired. Definitely a beautiful item.

HRBAKER
07-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Barry,
I thought the poster mentioned that it was actually cut in half. I may be mistaken.

Jeff

barrysloate
07-15-2010, 04:40 PM
You're correct Jeff, and I could have read his whole post.:(

That said, he should surely get it restored. It could also using a light cleaning and deacidification. By being kept in the frame so long, the acids from the wood have seeped into the paper. Deacidification is a really easy process and not very expensive, so that's a must.

When the poster is finished it will look gorgeous.