PDA

View Full Version : Old Cardboard Issue #23

lhardem
07-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Old Cardboard Issue #23 (Summer 2010) has left the printer and should reach all subscribers this week. Abstracts of each article as well as thumbnail article layouts can be viewed on the Old Cardboard website at http://www.oldcardboard.com/misc/issue23/issue23.asp.

Thanks to Tim Cathey, Brian Chidester and all who provided articles and input for this issue.

BTW, THAT IS LEON's E222 "A.W.A. CARAMEL" BACK SHOWN ON PAGE 18. It's the only such back known in the hobby!

The cover for Issue #23 (shown below) commemorates the 35th anniversary of Bert Sugar's Sports Collectors Bible. The accompanying article highlights Sugar's Bible and his many other accomplishments over the past 50 years.

Happy Collecting (and happy reading),
Lyman

http://www.oldcardboard.com/misc/issue23/cover23.jpg

DixieBaseball
07-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Received my OC issue on Monday. Great Read as always !

terjung
07-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Was reading my copy during the All Star game. Always worth the time.

...kinda chuckled at the inclusion of the Beckett Graded Card Investor ad though.

nolemmings
07-13-2010, 10:07 PM
As always, great read so far! Three muskateers in the Collectors' Dugout spread on p. 10. Thought I was watching America's Most Wanted.

Lyman, that photo on p. 8--is that a good idea leaving your lady in the same vicinity as that Sugar daddy?

Bicem
07-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Great issue! Really enjoyed the AWA and Wagner Horner photo articles!

ethicsprof
07-13-2010, 10:42 PM
great issue!
Tim Cathey's piece is as groundbreaking as his recent discussions on
the SL on this fine board. Absolutely top drawer!
Brian C.'s lithographic discussions were also well done.
also enjoyed seeing the brief biographies with pics of a number of buds from this forum.

congrats, OC folks

best,
barry

lhardem
07-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Lyman, that photo on p. 8--is that a good idea leaving your lady in the same vicinity as that Sugar daddy?

Good point Todd (LOL). Bert is a really fun guy and we both enjoyed our visit with him.

Lyman

ValKehl
07-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Tim - I really enjoyed your fantastic research & fascinating discovery re the E222 cards.
Val

Gary Dunaier
07-14-2010, 01:04 AM
I love how you've handled the listing of back issues so that someone like me, who's not familiar with the magazine, can "thumb through" each issue to get a visual feel to see if it's something I'd be interested in, either as a subscription or as individual issues.

I just purchased copies of #s 3 and 23. I probably wouldn't have bought any issues if I wasn't able to "see" them first.

toppcat
07-14-2010, 06:54 AM
Excellent issue, very diverse. I particularly enjoyed the E222 and BRS articles.

Leon
07-14-2010, 07:54 AM
Lyman- that is another great edition. The AWH article is one of my favorite articles of all time. I really enjoyed it. (You didn't really need to mention the AWA on the board, but thanks)

Tim Cathey- you are the man for writing that article. Now you just need to start collecting them!! I really, really enjoyed your write up. Thanks for your contribution and for sharing. You are certainly a "giver" and we need more of those in this hobby. best regards

E93
07-14-2010, 08:40 AM
Another great issue. Thanks.
JimB

peterose4hof
07-14-2010, 09:33 AM
I am a new subscriber to OC and this is my first issue.

I received it on Monday afternoon and finished it by Monday evening. I couldn't put it down!

Thanks to all the contributors!!!

Bicem
07-14-2010, 09:45 AM
I am a new subscriber to OC and this is my first issue.

I received it on Monday afternoon and finished it by Monday evening. I couldn't put it down!

Thanks to all the contributors!!!

nice! get the back issues, you'll be happy you did!

bmarlowe1
07-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Great issue and great article by Tim.

Abravefan11
07-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks eveyone for you kind words. It was a pleasure working with Lyman and I really appreciate the board members that contributed their E222 images for the article.