PDA

View Full Version : Negro League Items

oldballgame
07-13-2010, 02:51 PM
I have purchased the two following Nego League items and would appreciate help in identifying there origin. The first one is a 1929 Saint Louis Stars photo which measures 15 inches wide by 9 inches tall. The second one is of the 1941 kansas City Monarchs with a ticket stub from a game with the House of David. This picture measures 17 inches long by 6 3/4 inches tall. Both pictures show age and are printed on fairly heavy paper. Somebody has glued the center portions of each picture to a piece of mat board which I sure is not acid free. Are these pictures valuable enough for me to have them removed and framed correctly.Any help would be appreciated.

bcbgcbrcb
07-13-2010, 03:16 PM
I saw the same St. Louis photo on e-bay recently with a minimum bid of around $15.00 and although it looked aged, I'm sure that it was a reproduction as an original would bring thousands in a major auction house venue. Probably the same deal with the Kansas City photo. It is very common for popular Negro League team photographs to be reproduced and made to look old, including frames, ticket stubs, etc. I got fooled once several years ago and will try to never let it happen again.

prewarsports
07-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Regrettably all three items you have shown are reproductions (both photos and the ticket). If you can get your money back I would recommend it unless they were very cheap in which case they make for nice displays. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Rhys Yeakley