PDA

View Full Version : How much of a premium (if any) do you put on eye appeal?

Doug
07-12-2010, 08:11 AM
Since "buy the card, not the holder" is a popular phrase around here I was wondering how much of a premium eye appeal has vs. the technical grade of the card. I personally don't mind paying a premium for a card where the eye appeal exceeds the "technical grade", but I figured it would be fun to put up a poll and see what everyone else thinks.

3-2-count
07-12-2010, 09:25 AM
My vote. "Yes, I'm willing to place a significant premium on a well centered and/or above average looking card". I have some T206 HOF portraits on my site that are in my personal collection that I've paid way up for that couldn't be replaced as far as eye appeal goes, even when compared to much higher graded examples. On the flip side, there are many a collector that wouldn't pay any more than what VCP values them at, which I think is a shame. Just my take.

Chris Counts
07-12-2010, 09:27 AM
I only collect cards with good eye appeal. That's one reason why I don't own any complete sets. As for paying a premium, I believe we all do it. Just look at the prices for a '53 Bowman Pee Wee Reese or all the great horizontal shots in the T and E card sets ...

Beatles Guy
07-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Whoops, I accidentally marked No. I actually meant "yes, I will pay slightly over for eye appeal". More coffee please.

Doug
07-12-2010, 09:54 AM
My vote. "Yes, I'm willing to place a significant premium on a well centered and/or above average looking card". I have some T206 HOF portraits on my site that are in my personal collection that I've paid way up for that couldn't be replaced as far as eye appeal goes, even when compared to much higher graded examples.

That's pretty much my opinion as well. I don't mind paying over "market" value for a card with eye appeal that IMO exceeds the given grade. Unfortunately in most cases, when I've had to sell such cards I haven't had a lot of luck recovering that premium. :(

Bicem
07-12-2010, 10:17 AM
eye appeal trumps grade in my opinion.

tonyk1975
07-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Im with Jeff eye appeal is far more important than grade.

rdixon1208
07-12-2010, 10:32 AM
I used to put too much into VCP and other forms of determining "market value". I was just scared to overpay. By doing this, I ended up with a bunch of cards that I paid at or below VCP average. One day I took a good look at my cards and realized that they were also at or below average in appeal compared to other cards with the same technical grade. Now I have no problem paying more.

Leon
07-12-2010, 10:33 AM
So far I don't see any registry guys weighing in :confused:. I have to believe that if you are really trying to have the "best" set on the registry, then just the opposite is true. Grade is more important than eye appeal.

Of course I voted that I will pay substantially more for eye appeal over grade. I collect cards not plastic or flips.

Leon
07-12-2010, 10:34 AM
I used to put too much into VCP and other forms of determining "market value". I was just scared to overpay. By doing this, I ended up with a bunch of cards that I paid at or below VCP average. One day I took a good look at my cards and realized that they were also at or below average in appeal compared to other cards with the same technical grade. Now I have no problem paying more.

This post could make the Net54baseball.com HOF.....

doug.goodman
07-12-2010, 10:39 AM
...why buy it?

Just wondering.
Doug

Leon
07-12-2010, 10:42 AM
...why buy it?

Just wondering.
Doug

One good reason, pertaining to the few sets I am doing, would be to fill a hole.

Robextend
07-12-2010, 10:47 AM
One good reason, pertaining to the few sets I am doing, would be to fill a hole.

+1

If I am not sure I will ever be able to find an affordable card with eye appeal for one of my sets, I will go with a beater. Worst case scenario would be a future upgrade.

E93
07-12-2010, 10:53 AM
...why buy it?

Just wondering.
Doug

I recently bought a low grade card for a set I am collecting. Generally, I like cards with nice eye-appeal. I even have a couple of high grade sets. But this particular set is so rare that I jumped on the opportunity to fill the hole, even though I would have preferred a nicer example. I have not seen another example of this card offered in the ten years I have been following the set.
JimB

E93
07-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Regarding "registry guys", I don't really think of myself as one, but I do own a couple sets on the PSA and SGC registries, including one set that is the best on the PSA registry in its category. I have turned down opportunities for numerical upgrades to that set because I did not think the cards offered had the eye-appeal of my technically lower grade examples. Maybe that means I am not really a "registry guy".
JimB

doug.goodman
07-12-2010, 01:02 PM
... then it's a great looking card.

My original post was meant to mean that I don't understand why anybody would buy a card based on it's numerical grade if the card doesn't look good. Sort of a "nice looking" vs "higher grade" thing.

If the options are "an ugly card with practically no eye appeal" vs "no card", I also would (and do) take the card.

An ugly card is beautiful in comparison to not having a card.

Everything I own is raw, my kitchen knives see to that,
Doug

Steve D
07-12-2010, 01:02 PM
I "might" be willing to place a significant premium on a well centered and/or above average looking card, but I won't admit it, as I don't want dealers to know I "might" be willing to pay more for it ;)

Steve

bbcard1
07-12-2010, 03:19 PM
I strongly prefer unslabbed cards. For no particular reason, I can abide by an oc left to right card fine, but hate an oc top to bottom card.

albrshbr
07-12-2010, 05:37 PM
So far I don't see any registry guys weighing in :confused:. I have to believe that if you are really trying to have the "best" set on the registry, then just the opposite is true. Grade is more important than eye appeal.

Of course I voted that I will pay substantially more for eye appeal over grade. I collect cards not plastic or flips.

I'm not sure I'd consider myself a "registry guy" either, but I do have some on PSA (a couple that are the current finest) and a couple on SGC that I am working on.

I really like eye appeal if given a choice. It's been discussed before on other threads, but I have no problem with a slightly trimmed card with good eye appeal.

paul
07-12-2010, 06:31 PM
I am definitely interested in the eye appeal. If the front is nice, I don't really care if there is a tiny scrap of paper loss on the back, even if it makes the card a "1". And I'd much rather have that card than a "3" with surface scuffing.

Ronnie
07-12-2010, 08:42 PM
While I am primarily a collector. I also dabble in the business side of cards. When I look atthe results of this poll and see that 95% of the respondents would pay slightly more or significantly more for a card with a lower technical grade and stronger eye appeal, it makes me think that buying up all of those SGC 10's and PSA 1's that sell for "book value" or less may present a sound investment opportunity.

I've always thought of cracking those attractive low grade cards out of the case since I usually do not agree with the technical grade and believe the card would appeal more to the average collector ungraded....as opposed to graded with the lowest possible numerical grade. Thoughts?

ethicsprof
07-12-2010, 09:07 PM
eye appeal always trumps--as long as it's my eye.

best,
barry