PDA

View Full Version : Looking for information on a Negro League Ticket!

tlwise12
07-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Ive posted this ticket before, but have never really had any time or luck on finding information about it!

If anyone knows ANYTHING about it or how I could possibly find anything out I would be glad to hear it!

Thanks in advance!

Travis
tlwise12@aol.com

william_9
07-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Well, it's not an exhibition game against the Boston Red Sox. The Tigers visited Fenway Park for a series against the Sox starting on that date.

That only leaves the Memphis Red Sox of the Negro League. The only other Negro League team that I can find that used the name Red Sox were the Cleveland Red Sox and they disbanded after 1934. A local team in Indiana could very well have hosted the Monarchs for a game. Could be either a semi-pro or minor league team.

Wite3
07-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Here is a broadside for another Memphis Red Sox and Monarchs game that took place in New York. I have a feeling this was a barnstorming exhibition. Interesting to note that both games took place at night.

Joshua

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=13731

tlwise12
07-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Josh,

Thanks for the reply, but the link you have provided doesn't work!

Travis

36GoudeyMan
07-12-2010, 03:06 PM
This is where that game wasplayed --

Loeb Stadium
1915 Scott St
Lafayette IN 47904
Phone: 765-807-1500

Directions:
Loeb Stadium is located on the corner of Wallace Avenue and Main Street. Parking is available on the streets surrounding the ballpark or the parking lot on Scott Street. From I-65: Take Exit 172 (Lafayette/Rossville SR26). Head west on SR26 (South Street). Turn left on Park Avenue. Veer right onto Wallace Avenue. Loeb Stadium will be on your right. From Downtown Lafayette: Take South Street east (away from river). Turn right onto Main Street. Loeb Stadium will be up a few blocks on your left.

Dedicated in 1940, Loeb Stadium has hosted numerous baseball games and other events over the years. Bert and June Loeb donated $ 50,000 to construct the 3,500 seat stadium in honor of Solomon Loeb.

Originally called the Columbian Park Recreational Center, it was officially renamed as Loeb Stadium in 1971. Today Loeb Stadium serves as the home field for Lafayette Jefferson High School. It also hosts IHSAA tournaments, American Legion baseball and the Colt World Series.

from: https://www.lafayette.in.gov/egov/apps/locations/facilities.egov?fDD=19-0&path=detail&id=31

The Midwest League played games there in the mid 1950s, and the Lafayette team was an affiliate of the Red Sox, it seems....

tlwise12
07-26-2010, 11:59 AM
I took the advice of some and mailed a research request to the Tippecanoe Country Library in Lafayette Indiana. Although it was $10 for the request, I am happy with what I found out! However, some of the information that I was sent doesn't make sense to me! The library sent me copies of four issues of a local newspaper during the time.

The other team was the Lafayette Red Sox and they were a semi-pro team playing in the Indiana-Ohio League during 1941.

Their roster was as follows:
Roy Brann, cf
Ray Brann, 2b
Rhoda, rf
Kosman, lf
Monahan, 1b
Christakis, 3b
Sofiak, ss
Smilgoff, c
"Slim" Delion, p (supposedly won 17 straight games)
Bob Bailey, p

Monarchs roster:
Simms, cf
Allen, 3b
Bibbs, 2b
Greene, c
Brown, lf
Strong, rf
O'Neil, 1b
Williams, ss
Paige, P
Hilton Smith, p

I used baseballreference.com to look for many of the Red Sox players and many seemed to be listed. By that I mean a player was listed in the minor leagues around that time (between late 30s and mid 40s), and most of the names seem pretty unique.

I also found out that the game was rained out and played one week later!

However, I could not find any information on the team or the league during that time period. This league was a legitimate league, but it doesn't seem to be at the time of this game. The Indianapolis Firemen were also listed as a team in that league.

Any further information on the game, teams, or players would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Travis
tlwise12@aol.com

smokelessjoe
07-26-2010, 12:25 PM
This link may be of some help....

http://www.la84foundation.org/9arr/JackieRobinson/jhtwb.htm

smokelessjoe
07-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Thought this was interesting... Sorry its blurry?