PDA

View Full Version : A question of BST procedure

usernamealreadytaken
07-06-2010, 09:14 AM
On more than one occasion, I have emailed or PM'd a seller that "I'll take" a card they have posted for sale, only to get a response that another member is "considering" that card or are "waiting to hear back" from another member interested in the card. Now, by my way of thinking, a firm committment to buy something at an agreed upon price should end the sale, regardless if others are thinking about it, reviewing scans, etc. Am I wrong?

HRBAKER
07-06-2010, 09:20 AM
I can only give you my opinion but an "I'll likely take it pending a scan," or "very interested, may I see a scan?" would probably lead me to hold back and offer it to that person before a later received full commitment. Now if the scan reviewer comes back with an offer for less than the commitment then I tell them that I have a full price offer.

This is particularly true if you have a seller/buyer who have done transactions in the past.

All my opinion for what it's worth.

Robextend
07-06-2010, 09:29 AM
I can only give you my opinion but an "I'll likely take it pending a scan," or "very interested, may I see a scan?" would probably lead me to hold back and offer it to that person before a later received full commitment. Now if the scan reviewer comes back with an offer for less than the commitment then I tell them that I have a full price offer.

This is particularly true if you have a seller/buyer who have done transactions in the past.

All my opinion for what it's worth.

+1

It's a friendly board, nothing wrong with giving courtesy to the first responder if they sound very interested. I have done that before, and if I have been involved in successful transactions with that person in the past I will give more leeway.

Rob

rdixon1208
07-06-2010, 09:35 AM
I agree with Jeff and Rob.

3-2-count
07-06-2010, 09:42 AM
I have no problem whatsoever placing a short temporary hold on a card for someone on the board while they ponder their decision if they contacted me first.
There is no rule in affect here nor should there be one on this matter. It's the seller's call here, not the buyers . My two cents.

timzcardz
07-06-2010, 10:31 AM
I would liken it to walking into a store and telling the proprieter that I'll take that item that you are currently showing that other customer, with the other customer pondering whether or not to buy it and possibly asking additonal questions of the seller.

The seller should finish dealing with the current customer, if they so chose, prior to waiting on a subsequent one.

Rob D.
07-06-2010, 10:31 AM
I have no problem whatsoever placing a short temporary hold on a card for someone on the board while they ponder their decision if they contacted me first.
There is no rule in affect here nor should there be one on this matter. It's the seller's call here, not the buyers . My two cents.

I agree with Jeff and also with Tony that it's the seller's call.

Of course, extending a courtesy is not without risk sometimes. Not too long ago a board member who I had done a number of transactions with e-mailed to say, "Give me your best price on XXXX, and I'll take it." I knocked a little off the price (it already had been reduced) and e-mailed him back that the card was his.

After not hearing back, I e-mailed him a day or so later. He replied that he had come up short on cash and wouldn't be buying the card.

Live and learn.

Rickyy
07-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Unless I specifically say on the post "SOLD to the first person to say I'll take it", I also am willing to give the first person that contacts me a shot...because they might want better scans or have questions they want answered before they commit.