PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: 1950 Callahan HOF have you seen the prices lately?

Thrill-of-the-Hunt
07-05-2010, 07:45 PM
i know the 1950 - 56 Callahan HOF set is considered post war, BUT the entire set is compiled with pre-war players. Its an obscure set, but the prices have been steadily rising for months. I am interested in other's opinions, hopefully there will be other opinions, about this set. There is one particular person that bids on every single high grade card to keep the prices high. The amount of high grade material out there is abundant and continues to come to market.

bbcard1
07-05-2010, 09:41 PM
I haven't noticed and significant increase in price or demand. It is a set that normally always appears near the top of the condition spectrum and really isn't that attractive...just B&W line drawings. Fairly available.

HRBAKER
07-05-2010, 09:43 PM
I haven't noticed and significant increase in price or demand. It is a set that normally always appears near the top of the condition spectrum and really isn't that attractive...just B&W line drawings. Fairly available.

I agree, I have never found these the least bit attractive or desireable, but to each their own.

Thrill-of-the-Hunt
07-05-2010, 10:02 PM
if you havnt, take a look at ebay closed listing prices. this set will add up. its not that attractive, but with all the variations it is a fun set to collect as the players are all from the era we follow so much on this board.

**also if you go to ebay listings and choose the most expensive first, see what some of the asking prices are

JamesGallo
07-05-2010, 10:34 PM
I have been watching several Schalks from this set as he is a short print. I will likely never pay the 1000-1500 price tag for a PSA 8/9 or this card. Seems pointless as there are more available then buyers. I don't care if a card is a short print at some point you have to say there is no demand for this card at this price and either drop the price or sit on it forever.

There seems to be a few people with a lot of these cards in 8 and 9. Don't care to much for the set but I will need a Schalk sooner or later. I don't think I have seen one graded below an 8....

James G

ethicsprof
07-05-2010, 11:24 PM
any card my age and younger is a bit too modern for me.
but as said above, 'to each his own.'

best,
barry

Misunderestimated
07-06-2010, 12:29 AM
Callahans - There are many many of them relisted over and over in higher grades at high BINS. One (or more?) people seem to have almost cornered the market/hoard them and relist them (especially the Shorter Prints) at high prices. I need a few rare ones to complete the set (Schalk, Hartnett & a few variatios) but I not really willing to overpay.... Kinda takes the fun out of a nice little set I always liked because it included all the HOFers as of the date of issue (1950-56) with short bios on the back.....

glchen
07-06-2010, 01:48 AM
I noticed that. Heritage has recently some some near sets of Callahan at reasonable prices, but then set breaks on ebay have been wild in prices. The ebay listings I've seen often advertise low pops, high grades, and I think that this is bringing buyers in.