PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to have a blank backed P2 pin?

milkit1
07-05-2010, 03:56 PM
I have one that seems that way but I may be worng? Ive seen other pins with no backs and they seem to be darker. It looks like its actually paper on the back side but really hard to tell. Thanks for your help :)

MikeS
07-05-2010, 06:48 PM
It's common to see these with the P2 pins, but not all the time. It's just a manufacturing snafu in which duplicate sheets of the paper insert stick together and are placed within the pin. The top layer will fall off over time and below that is the blank back or another sweet cap ad.

JamesGallo
07-05-2010, 10:44 PM
I have one like that and FYI PSA refused it.

James G

ethicsprof
07-05-2010, 11:05 PM
i've seen 'em but have found that they are not seen as any sort of great find, like say the blank back T206.
more like a 'snafu' as suggested above.

best,
barry

milkit1
07-06-2010, 06:58 AM
thanks for the tips. I wonder if PSA will "Authentic" it?

MikeS
07-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Milk-

Don't waste your money for an authentic grade....PSA really doesn't know how to grade these at all. Your best bet is to take a clean insert from another beat up pin off Ebay and put it into your cubs player before sending it to PSA for a number grade. When they first started grading these you will see numerous Gem's 10's & 9's that should only be graded at a 6-7 level if they were submitted today. Worst example is that of the Gem 10 Ty Cobb that sold for thousands and there are better examples in lower grades. I think everyone knows your pin is authentic for these were not reproduced. Good Luck.

milkit1
07-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Yeah the grading does seem off the wall. I just like the little PSA holders :) plus those sharp points scare the crap outta me. Can u get tetnis from a hundred year old pin?

MikeS
07-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Yeah the grading does seem off the wall. I just like the little PSA holders :) plus those sharp points scare the crap outta me. Can u get tetnis from a hundred year old pin?

You should be OK when the two weeks of lock-jaw wears off.