PDA

View Full Version : Willard-Dempsey July 4th 1919 items

Fritz
07-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Well, I was out running around today and came accross these, ticket stub, seating stub and what looks like a program(need to take them out of the frame). Not a bad day.

Fritz

D. Bergin
07-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Nice score. The ticket is fairly common but the program is not. Hopefully it's all there behind the frame.

Fritz
07-05-2010, 03:50 PM
got it out, it's just the front cover of it, still it makes a nice display with the two stubs.

Fritz

Fritz
07-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Would these be worth grading?

Fritz

Exhibitman
07-06-2010, 01:18 PM

Fritz

I don't know; if you intend to use them in a display, I'd say not unless you plan to display the slabs alongside the reframed program cover. I recently picked up this PC from the fight that matches the program design concept (has a 1919 postmark on it too):

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/rareboxingcards/websize/1919%20PC%20Willard%20v.%20Dempsey.jpg

D. Bergin
07-06-2010, 02:16 PM

Fritz

I really don't think so. I could be wrong but boxing ticket guys don't place much of a premium on a PSA Slab. As long as it's authentic, which it looks like it is.

Maybe baseball or other sports guys dabbling into boxing a bit, might be more comfortable purchasing it in a slab.

Fritz
07-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks! I was thinking of doing it just for the fact of them being verified and preserved, I mainly collect military(have for over 30 years) and fakes are in abundance there as I am sure with spodts items also, only reason I bought these is I somewhat know the guy that had them and his stuff is good. I have been looking all over the net and have only found a few tickets/stubs even listed for sale, I may end up keeping the group and not sell as I originaly thought of doing, kinda neat group and I'm from Toledo and know right where this took place, unfortunatly it is now an extremely rough/dangerous place to go in that end of town. Here are a couple closeups of the two stubs.

Fritz

Fritz
07-06-2010, 06:46 PM
I don't know; if you intend to use them in a display, I'd say not unless you plan to display the slabs alongside the reframed program cover. I recently picked up this PC from the fight that matches the program design concept (has a 1919 postmark on it too):

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/rareboxingcards/websize/1919%20PC%20Willard%20v.%20Dempsey.jpg

Nice card!

Fritz

Fritz
07-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Well after a little work and some TLC with the program cover, I was able to get this great little group looking a bit more presentable,looks much better on acid free paper.

Fritz

D. Bergin
07-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Nice Job. Wish I had the patience (and the wall space) to frame stuff up like that sometimes.

Fritz
07-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Nice Job. Wish I had the patience (and the wall space) to frame stuff up like that sometimes.

Thanks, didn't take me to long, couple hours after I got the frame, luckly my wife still had some of here scrap book stuff left so I could get the cards in the corner holders, I was impressed with myself and so was she:D.

Fritz