PDA

View Full Version : 1960 Armour Bud Daley in white

Bob Lemke
06-30-2010, 03:24 PM
We've got a white '60 Daley Armour coin consigned to the next Collect.com Auction. It's PSA graded as a 9.

I've never heard of a white Armour coin in any year.

I know the top Armour guys hang out here; have you ever seen any year/player in white?

brian1961
06-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Bob, When I saw the white 1960 Armour Bud Daley, I was more than a bit uncomfortable.

Ever since I have heard of this coin in the 1980s, it has been a lime green. Recently a black version was auctioned, but I forget the firm that handled it. While it would be wrong to suggest that nothing new can come out of the woodwork in this year of 2010, it seems more than a bit suspicious that these new colors, or shades if you will, of Bud Daley all of a sudden surface. Particularly, as you point out, that the white variety is unknown to Armours.

If one had an original Bud Daley coin, with today's technology, more could ostensibly be cranked out through the use of various kinds of model-making and crafting supplies. I am in no way an expert to tell, but I have done some study of modeling methods in reference to another hobby of mine, and I can say that is very, very possible given the tools and materials that are available to modelers/crafters today.

If it is a legitimate Daley coin, I would be the first to congratulate the consignor. If it is genuine, it is a marvelous piece. But at this point I would want some documentation regarding provenance. Hopefully, Armour Phil will be notified of this thread and provide his input. Alan Rosen handled many Armours. Robert Lifson should be consulted, for his own expertise, as well as if he knows of any long-time collectors of these. In all the years Mastro Auctions existed as they were, I did not see a "WHITE" Armour coin, and they could be described as a pretty accurate hobby barameter.

Hopefully, it is the real McCoy. The hideously rare Baltimore News Babe Ruth, Washington Times Cobb, US Caramel Lindstrom, Buttercream Babe Ruth all surface as painfully slow as the BP oil surfaces excruciatingly fast. It just seems odd that new Bud Daley colors should all of a sudden present themselves.

I hope you get to the bottom of this, Bob. -Brian Powell

drc
07-01-2010, 01:03 AM
There was a bright yellow Bud Daly in a Mastro auctions several years back.

sflayank
07-01-2010, 06:11 AM
about 3 years ago they surfaced on ebay going for around 1000 each
...allegedly found by an armour employee
they do appear to be real...
there was a white clear black grey brown and tan that i remember
one or 2 of each
they were scooped up on ebay mostly by collectors
the white one in the psa 9 holder just recently sold in auction for 500-600
while they probably are real they still do not command insane prices...mostly because one cannot make a set of 60 armours in any of those colors...so the # of collectors is limited
this might also explain the shortage of bud daleys, if true the daley coin was the experimental piece for colors and the mold may have worn out or broken early in the run

fkw
07-02-2010, 09:02 PM
A couple years ago there was a perfectly clear one on eBay. It was a trip.

I didnt like it much (eye appeal) because the detail on back was too visible on the front.