PDA

View Full Version : O/T.....But very interesting development at CU's Coin Grading Division

WhenItWasAHobby
06-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Press Release:

http://www.coinlink.com/News/counterfeits-fraud/lawsuit-filed-against-coin-doctors-by-collectors-universe-pcgs/

Complaint:

http://www.coinlink.com/News/pdf/CU_vs_Coin_doctors.pdf

Discuss.......

Peter_Spaeth
06-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Can you imagine a similar suit against certain well-known names in the card business.

barrysloate
06-30-2010, 04:52 AM
No question the same thing is going on in our hobby. If the work is really good it is almost impossible to detect.

quinnsryche
06-30-2010, 05:04 AM
Man, I don't know how anything could get past the eyes in this hobby. For example: look at the scrutiny that T206 Cobb with the corner reconstruction got just on this board alone. Hi-res scans, 360 degree views, hundreds of posts etc. You guys put the beat down on ANYTHING that even REMOTELY looks or sounds questionable. It's possible, but it would have to be very rare for something of that magnitude to happen in this hobby IMO.
PS - that's a compliment to all the members of this board who tirelessly monitor this hobby. KUDOS!

Peter_Spaeth
06-30-2010, 06:54 AM
Man, I don't know how anything could get past the eyes in this hobby. For example: look at the scrutiny that T206 Cobb with the corner reconstruction got just on this board alone. Hi-res scans, 360 degree views, hundreds of posts etc. You guys put the beat down on ANYTHING that even REMOTELY looks or sounds questionable. It's possible, but it would have to be very rare for something of that magnitude to happen in this hobby IMO.
PS - that's a compliment to all the members of this board who tirelessly monitor this hobby. KUDOS!

Wishful thinking. In my opinion, it's quite widespread. Most cards pass well under the radar, and this board sees a small fraction of cards.

Leon
06-30-2010, 07:25 AM
Wishful thinking. In my opinion, it's quite widespread. Most cards pass well under the radar, and this board sees a small fraction of cards.

However, when the board gets a hold of something, it's like a pit bull.

Peter_Spaeth
06-30-2010, 07:40 AM
However, when the board gets a hold of something, it's like a pit bull.

Sometimes. Other things/people, to my surprise/dismay, seem to get virtually a free pass.

Leon
06-30-2010, 07:48 AM
Sometimes. Other things/people, to my surprise/dismay, seem to get virtually a free pass.

You don't say!!

uffda51
06-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Gee, I think I'll start a coin collection.

Peter_Spaeth
06-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Isn't it bad publicity for PCGS to admit publicly that doctors can and do get bad coins past them? I assume they market themselves as authenticators as well as graders.

drc
06-30-2010, 12:43 PM
I would guess it's commonly known in that hobby this stuff happens and is a problem, and what they are revealing is that they are taking action.