PDA

View Full Version : N172 Old Judge Random Questions

quinnsryche
06-28-2010, 06:07 AM
Just some wonderings about Old Judges. From your experience, which particular players or teams are more plentiful overall? Are the Spotted Ties and Brown's Champions rare or just extremely popular? What's the best source for determining the value for any given card? I can look through the OJ book all day long (which I have) but I still don't know if a particular card shown is the only known copy (or very low pop) or there are hundreds out there. Are there more OJ's graded or ungraded from your experience? Just some random thoughts that I thought might be interesting to have some answers to.
Thanks in advance!

barrysloate
06-28-2010, 06:13 AM
I've seen the New York Giants show up more than any other team. Home field advantage, I guess

philliesphan
06-28-2010, 06:39 AM
Most Old Judges are ungraded.

A significant failure by all the grading companies, in my humble opinion, is that their grading is reflective of centering, corner wear and surface scratches. Image clarity is not a factor in their grading -- and I have seen a large, large number of Old Judges graded EX-MT or higher that were significantly faded. Many collectors will pay premiums for strong image contrast.

Matthew H
06-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Most Old Judges are ungraded.

A significant failure by all the grading companies, in my humble opinion, is that their grading is reflective of centering, corner wear and surface scratches. Image clarity is not a factor in their grading -- and I have seen a large, large number of Old Judges graded EX-MT or higher that were significantly faded. Many collectors will pay premiums for strong image contrast.

They take picture clarity into account while grading other issues. What gives?