PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this Cobb bat?

DaveH
06-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Picked this up recently as a repro but Louisville Slugger Museum says they don't make repros of Cobb bat, just Ruth and 4 or 5 others. Also special order customized bats can't be ordered with professional players names on them.
It's 33 3/4" long. Your thoughts?

dh

slidekellyslide
06-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Dave, what's on the end of the knob?

sayhey24
06-24-2010, 03:27 PM
I don't know what it was made for, but it's definitely a modern bat with an old-style center label. I'm not sure what they meant at the museum when they said they don't make Cobb repros, but H&B has made many Cobb bats over the past few decades ( I have a couple of them). The ones I have and others I've seen, have the labeling consistent with the period they were manufactured in -- ie, a Cobb with 1969-72 labeling,
The photos you show have a center label that doesn't match the barrel labeling.

You can also just tell that the labeling doesn't have the look of other bats with labeling from the early 20th century.

Greg

jbsports33
06-24-2010, 08:58 PM
The key is the Stamping, early H&B bats have thinner markings burned in and the color of the wood seems more modern, still interesting and looks nice. Just not has old

Jimmy

DaveH
06-25-2010, 06:28 AM
Dan,
The knob is plain, no markings or inserts.

Dave

sayhey24
06-25-2010, 06:33 AM
Hi Dave,

The knob doesn't really have any bearing -- the center label style makes it clear this is a modern bat.
It is what you bought it as -- and it's still a nice looking bat.

Greg