PDA

View Full Version : New love for Old Hoss

Rob D.
06-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Not news to some of you, but still interesting:

http://outofbounds.nbcsports.com/2010/06/was-this-pitcher-first-person-ever-to-flip-the-bird-on-camera.html.php

(Be sure to read reader comment No. 3 at the end of the story.)

barrysloate
06-23-2010, 09:16 AM
That is interesting Rob. Has a great myth about Old Hoss just been shattered?

slidekellyslide
06-23-2010, 12:07 PM
I don't know what that guy is talking about...I can very easily recreate Old Hoss' bird demonstration. That ain't no cigar.

Matt
06-23-2010, 12:13 PM
I don't know what that guy is talking about...I can very easily recreate Old Hoss' bird demonstration. That ain't no cigar.

There are actually two images discussed in the article - I think the commenter was referring to the team image, where it would be a bit of an awkward angle for a finger. The finger in the N172 seems straight.

Thanks for the link Rob.

D. Bergin
06-23-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm just excited this might be turned into a movie.

What fun this would be if it got a decent director and budget to go along with it.

Maybe an Edward Zwick or Ron Howard project.

ethicsprof
06-23-2010, 01:59 PM
thanks for sharing.

best,
barry

orator1
06-23-2010, 02:32 PM
This is a close-up from the team photo.
Hoss is not holding a cigar.

M's_Fan
06-23-2010, 03:08 PM
That's NOT a cigar. The fact that he did this in his N172 demonstrates Old Hoss had a propensity for this...

59 in '84 is a great read, half way through it now! Highly recommended!

Anthony S.
06-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Unless he was a cannibal, he ain't smoking that thing.

slidekellyslide
06-23-2010, 06:58 PM
There are actually two images discussed in the article - I think the commenter was referring to the team image, where it would be a bit of an awkward angle for a finger. The finger in the N172 seems straight.

Thanks for the link Rob.

I was speaking of the team photo. I see someone here has already enhanced the photo and proven me right. :)

Matt
06-23-2010, 07:19 PM
I was speaking of the team photo. I see someone here has already enhanced the photo and proven me right. :)

For the record, I wasn't agreeing with the commenter, just trying to clarify his comments. :)

bmarlowe1
06-23-2010, 08:04 PM

Dan - I can't, though people's hands do differ in how the joints can move - please post a photo.

I will also say that I can't duplicate the pose with a cigar either.

slidekellyslide
06-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Mark, I flipped you off in email. :D

bmarlowe1
06-24-2010, 09:17 AM
I see that Dan's technique is nearly identical to that of Radbourn - so it can be done. Maybe it just takes more practice.

usernamealreadytaken
06-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Ole Hoss's card is the equivalent of the Billy Ripken F***Face…

Anthony S.
06-24-2010, 10:45 AM
After seeing the Radbourn photo yesterday, I flipped myself off in the bathroom mirror. And while it may have led to some strong words between myself and my reflection (we nearly came to blows), I can confirm that it was pretty easy to contort my fingers in the fashion used by Radbourn in the photo.

Matthew H
06-24-2010, 11:43 AM
If he were trying to protect people from his cigar, then it seems odd that he'd be holding so close to his teammates ear.

drdduet
06-24-2010, 12:11 PM
That is hilarious, thanks for sharing. Now to pick up an Old Hoss.

B O'Brien
06-24-2010, 12:12 PM
I like to watch people and over the years have become pretty good at how folks use the body to say F you, or other things along those lines. I also come from a long line of trash, and most of which were well skilled in the rougher forms of articulation.

In my opinion, Hoss is using and OLD SCHOOL form of the bird. The interesting thing is that this style of the bird is typical reserved for special occasions, as it hurts to do this one right. It shows that he was a pretty tough fellow to use this version in such a happy go lucky way. I remember this form being used by the older generations of my family most of which were born very poor and across the pond. They saved this jesture for when they really wanted to send someone down below, not just a casual F you to the guy that cuts you off. This bird was dusted off when you found your brother making out with your wife, while having his toe nails clipped by your daughter and kicking your dog with the other foot.

Just my thoughts. Nice work on blowing up that pic! WOW you guys are good.

Hope all is well,
Bob